Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tl1958 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 03:00 PM
    Stock trade
    "I put a stop/limit order on a stock with the same activation price and actual price of 53. The stock was trading at 55. It closed at 52 and my order didn't activate. The guy at Ameritrade said sice the action was so heavy it blew through the price and it never activated. He said I should have had the activation price a few cents higher. Do I have any recourse to this or was I just wrong? Thanks"
    amdeist Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2010, 06:12 PM
    In common parlance, stop and stop limit orders are known as stop loss orders because speculators use them to lock in profits from profitable trades.
    A stop order automatically converts into a market order when a predetermined price is reached (this is referred to as the stop price). At that point, the ordinary rules of market orders apply; the order is guaranteed to be executed, you simply don't know the price, it may be higher or lower than the current price reported on the ticker symbol.

Contrast that to a stop limit order, which automatically converts into a limit order (not a market order) when the stop price is reached. As discussed earlier in this tutorial, your order may or may not be executed depending upon the price movement of the underlying security.
    tl1958 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 06:52 PM
    “stop loss” orders... what the hell is that?
    amdeist Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2010, 08:54 PM

Go to website
    Intro to Stock Trading - Stop Order and Stop Limit Orders
    erincragg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 09:42 AM
    The <a href="http://wallstreetsurvivor.com">stock game</a> at WallStreetSurvivor.com helps you learn about stops and losses. The <a href="http://howthemarketworks">trading game</a> at HowTheMarketWorks.com is also a good game to help learn about exit strategies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall Street virtual stock trade game [ 1 Answers ]

World is in financial crise, most of countries are in recession. For 2008, an estimated 2.6 million U.S. jobs were eliminated. In Russia only in December 2008 1.0 million jobs were eliminated. Learn how to survive and play virtual stock exchange trading with stocks and goods. Only the best wins! ...

In stock market investing what is a 'wash trade? [ 1 Answers ]

On 4/29/2009 I sold 475 hares of el paso at a loss. On 5/28/2009 I abought 500 shares of ep and then realizing my mistake I immediately sold the 500 el paso within minutes. Can I take the loss of 475 shares of el paso on 2009 tax return? I did no further trading in el paso for the remaonder of...

Time to buy some stock? Online trading: E*TRADE, et al [ 4 Answers ]

Pardon the rambling... I'm no stock guru but I I'm no dummy either... 1. etrade has awesome, hilarious and memorable commercials... and they claim 1000 new accounts per day. Wow, sounds great! 2. Warren Buffett says now is the time to buy good stocks. Who can disagree that when Warren...

Best way to trade stock on internet? Which sites? [ 1 Answers ]

Which site is the best to invest through, I've researched Etrade, Schwab, Sharebuilder, TradeKing etc. TradeKing has the best prices but it says $0.65 per contract? What does that mean. Any help would be great.

View more questions Search