Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hokiluki Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 05:11 AM
    Keyboard problem?
    Okay. So I have been playing O2jam for a while now. And I realised that I can't press all the buttons together. I mean like, when I pressed them all together. Only some keyboard works. For example: if I press A S D F and H J K L together. Only like A S D J K L works. Is it something wrong with the keyboard or it's just that I have to change some setting with my keyboard?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2010, 03:39 PM

As a former keyboard engineer, I would be fairly confident that there is nothing wrong with your keyboard. I don't want to get too technical, so you'll have to trust me that certain combinations of keys cannot be detected.

If you are still curious, check out this link on Wikipedia.

Cheers,
    WallyH

Nov 7, 2010, 07:02 PM

So there is no way to fix that problem?
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2010, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiluki View Post
    So there is no way to fix that problem?
    Correct. It is inherent in the design of the keyboard. Even a different brand of keyboard will likely exhibit the same behavior, because the basic design is fairly universal.

The original IBM PC keyboards would do what you want, but finding one will be difficult nowadays. Even if you find one, you'll need an adapter because the connector on those old keyboards is different than those on modern computers.

Wish I could give you better news,
    WallyH
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 8, 2010, 08:10 AM

Is there a reason you need to push all these buttons at once? Is there a move or action in the game associated with these buttons being pushed together?

Nov 8, 2010, 08:45 AM

Wallyhelps. I see. Thanks for the info anyway.

ITstudent2006. Yeah, something like that.
    Networking Expert

Nov 8, 2010, 10:06 AM

I just wonder why a game designer would include actions controlled by pushing these buttons if a majority of keyboards didn't support it.

Nov 8, 2010, 09:42 PM

Actually, I could press all those buttons together last time with a different computer. So it was kind of strange that I couldn't do it with this computer.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2010, 07:31 AM
    Actually, i could press all those buttons together last time with a different computer. So it was kinda strange that i couldn't do it with this computer.
    You can do it with what is known as a "capacitive keyboard". The original IBM PC used this technology, and there were probably others too. However, this is a rather expensive design and so manufacturers went to a switch-matrix design which exhibits the behavior you are seeing.

Hope this clarifies the situation,
    WallyH

Nov 9, 2010, 07:52 AM

I see. That sucks man.. Thanks a lot for the help :D
    Networking Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 07:52 AM

My question still stands! Makes no sense to me!

Nov 9, 2010, 08:31 AM

ITstudent2006. Uh. Yeah, There are some places in the game which you have to press quite a few buttons together. So yeah.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2010, 10:20 AM
    ITstudent2006. Uh. Yeah, There are some places in the game which you have to press quite a few buttons together. So yeah.
    This had me intrigued, so I found this link that might help.

Not musical in the least,
    WallyH
    Networking Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 02:23 PM

Very good info.

I just see a huge marketing downfall with this. You're creating a product not everyone can use, even if they wanted to, that is unless they buy an appropriate keyboard.

On second thought, I guess it's not different then a person wanting to play Guitar Hero. (ya kind of need a guitar for that)

Still amazes me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless keyboard / Mouse problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I wonder if anyone can offer any help on an odd problem I'm having with a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse? The receiver has a cable with 2 connectors, the instructions say (for a desktop) connect the mouse ps2 connector into the mouse ps2 port and the keyboard usb connector via the...

Laptop Keyboard problem [ 3 Answers ]

My laptop keyboard got jammed. I am sure there is a key or set of keys to press to release the jam because I can recall I had a problem with my old laptop some 2 years ago which was sorted thus. The present problem is with the new dell laptop three weeks old. Can somebody help.

Servere Keyboard problem! Please help [ 6 Answers ]

I have a labtec keyobard. And I get an annoying on screen display every time I click on my lock keys, CAPS LOCK,SCROLL LOCK,NUM LOCK. The problem is a little grey box with displays above my taskbar each time I click on one of my lock keys, any idea?

PS/2 keyboard problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older 700mhz Duron box that Im trying to fix up for a family member. I did an fdisk and formatted the drive for a fresh Windows 98 install. Im booting to a Win98 startup disk and choosing to install from CD. The keyboard works fine for all of this... but as soon as Windows comes to...

View more questions Search