Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yudine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 03:36 AM
    Shadow area calculation
    Hello,
    I am trying to calculate the possilbe areas of shadow from buildings in a city. I have the buildings heights, sun angle and azimuth but I'm still not getting a way to come up with this possible shadow areas. Is there anyone with a way to go about this or has done this before. Would be grateful if you can direct me with this.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2010, 07:12 AM

I'm not sure up to how much detail you want to have the area of the shadow...

Do you consider the building as a cuboid with a side directly facing the sun at the point in time concerned?

Maybe the building does not directly face the sun thus, the area of the shadow would be different from the above case at the same point in time?
    Yudine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 07:48 AM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    I actually have the digital suface model of the city of which I will get the height of the buildings and also have the sun angle and azimuth from an image taken of the city. I want to simulate areas the shadow will be cast. Perhaps you can eaxplain
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2010, 08:31 AM

From here, the area is given by:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculation shadow [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need source about calculation the eclipse of LEO satellite.please help me

A shadow of a shadow person? [ 2 Answers ]

First, I'll set the scene. I'm laying down on my bed on my left side facing my window blinds. On the other side of the room was my digital clock that shined a bright light onto the blinds and it was about two or three in the morning. SO... I suddenly awoke out of a deep sleep for no apparent...

Hexogonal area calculation [ 2 Answers ]

Calculation of hexogonal area

Surface Area to Volume ratio calculation [ 4 Answers ]

Hey everyone: This isn´ t homework help I´m just getting prepared for the next semester. I was researching this online and in books and the nearest GOOD library is 20 miles away so I decided a helpdesk would be the best option. To the point. I have already learned how to calculate the...

Shadow Calculation [ 13 Answers ]

Hi.. Can anyone able to give me answer for this question.. How to show the shadow of an object for(e.g.Buildings) when the position of sun and geographical position of building is known? Also say me in which direction the shadow will fall and what will be the length of the shadow? Is their...

View more questions Search