Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pehchannkaunn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 01:24 PM
    I am on lease with 2 other roommates. Want them to release me from lease
    I am on a lease agreement with 2 other roommates. Our lease ends on Jan 31,2011. However, I want my name off the lease asap. This is because I have already suffered due to their irresponsibility in some common matters. As per our lease agreement, the other roommates need to sign a release form that will release me from the lease agreement. Legally, can they refuse to release me ? If they do, what recourse do I have ? I do not want my name on the agreement since I do not want to be held responsible for any damages caused by them when the lease expires on Jan 31,2011. It would be great if anyone can offer suggestions as to how I can make them sign the papers ? For the record, I am based in California.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 02:24 PM

A lease is a contract and wanting out of one isn't simple. You can ask but they can refuse and the landlord has a say in this too, your contract is with him. Each of you is responsible for the other two as well as yourself. You could try to make an offer to them like forfeit your share of the deposit or two months rent but they do not have to let you out. Does your lease allow sub-leasing?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 05:35 PM

They may refuse and there is nothing you can do, you have a legal obligation

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommates and renewing a lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in the same apartment for about 3 years with a roommate. Recently our lease was up for renewal, she signed it and I did not. I was planning on moving out but she signed without my knowledge. Am I responsible to continue to pay half of the rent?

CA Laws regarding roommates not on the lease. [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Northern CA and share a 2 bedroom with my now x-boyfriend. I was never on the lease. While I am looking for a place to live I am not financially able to move out asap. Can he force me out of here due to CA laws? I want to have at least 3 months to save money. How, if at all, am I...

Held to a lease by ex roommates [ 2 Answers ]

So here's my story! I moved into an apartment with two other roommates here in south Carolina. Things went bad and I ended up moving out. I paid rent for awhile while I wasn't living there but stopped because my ex roommates were using the empty room for their own space. Their rent got backed up...

Roommates with no lease in IL [ 3 Answers ]

My wife took young couple to live in our apartment without my promission.Both of us on the lease.They didn't sign anything.I asked them to leave.They refused.They claim that since they have agreement with my wife I don't have a right to ask them to leave. What should I do?

Roommates on lease [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Washington state, in order to rent an apartment anyone over the age of 18 has to sign the lease. My daughter signed the leased and has since angerly moved out. She refused to sign the movement form the apartment asked me to have sign in order to be removed from the lease. Meanwhile,...

View more questions Search