Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thompsonc06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 12:50 PM
    Is it legal for a employer not to pay a salary employee for 40 hours ?
    I am a salary employee who gets paid for a 80hr pay period. In that 80 hr period I took 16hrs vacation time. On my check I got paid for my vacation time,but I was short 8hrs pay for my regular time. Their reason for the short was the one week I did 40 hrs in 4 days instead of 5 days. My question is,is that legal for them not to pay me for my regular hrs even though they were done in 4 days instead of 5?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 02:28 PM

What country are you in? Salary has nothing to do with the hours worked. However, unless they have agreed to give you a day off you have to be docked for not working that 5th day. You are supposed to report to work everyday, somedays more than 8 hours and maybe some less, but still you must report to work. Its legal, at least in the USA
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 04:26 PM

I'm guessing that you are expected to work 8 hours a day for 5 days a week to obtain 40 hours total. But, if you were to work 40 hours in 4 days, then you should definitely get prior approval.

Did you have an arrangement/agreement with your employer before you took that 5th day off? If you didn't get prior approval, it will look like you worked 1 day less, even if you put in extra hours the other 4 days.

Furthermore, do you dock your hours somehow? How can you prove to your employer that you actually did work 40 hours that week? If you can't prove it, then how are they suppose to know? Like I said, next time, get prior approval before you do something like that.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 04:57 PM

I pretty much agree with I wish but want to clarify one point. Even if you prove you worked 40 hours in 4 days you still get docked. There is no 8 hour expectation X 5 days for a salaried person.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 05:09 PM

Agreed, first forget about 40 hour weeks, a salary person may have to work 50 to 60 or more hours a week, not just 40,
    The company normally looks at if you take a full day off work, and will dock a "days" pay.

You would have had to get the companies approval prior to just taking off a day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer refuses to pay for all hours worked [ 4 Answers ]

Not sure if this is the right section. There are two questions really. First I have worked over 100 hours the last two weeks, Exactly 103 to be exact at 10 an hour. I will pay all the taxes at the end of the year under a 1099. So I should get paid 1030.00. He refuses to give the full amount, only...

Is it legal to fine a salary employee [ 3 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee of a computer consulting firm. My contract states that my salary is fixed, however as such I am required to accomplish 30 billable hours per week, however does not discuss penalties. My company has now enacted a "policy" that states if any customer complains and the...

Can I 1099 an employee that I pay a base salary [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 employees. I plan to 1099 both. The 1st employee will be paid comm. Only based on production. The 2nd employee I will pay base salary plus comm. That also is based on production. I will retain a % of their comm. As they have accessibility to office space, supplies, etc. Am I in my rights...

Docked pay because PTO is gone, but I am a salary employee. Can he do this? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I am a salary employee in the state of NY. I have 15 days of PTO(paid time off) I just got a email from my boss telling me he docked me 3 days pay, because I was over my 15 day limit of PTO. Is it legal for him to do this? It was my assumption that as salary employees you got paid...

Salary hours vs hourly employee [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a difference between the hours that a salary employee works? Hourly is from 8-9 and salary is 40 hours (does not matter what time frame)?

View more questions Search