Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonathan8 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2010, 09:45 PM
    Security deposit II
    My 1 yr lease with 2 other roommates has ended in November. The 2 other roommates decided to stay on premesis and I moved out. Landlord won't release my security deposit because apt is not vacated.

Landlord said to get my deposit from the roommates and I have a right to take them to small claims. Is this correct? What are my options in this situation?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2010, 04:14 AM

Was a new lease signed with just your 2 other roommates on it?

I think the landlord may be wrong here if a new lease was executed. But without knowing where you are (ANY question on law needs to include your general local as laws vary by area), I can't check the law. In any case, you will have to sue someone, unless the threat of a suit gets action.

Nov 4, 2010, 08:28 AM
    No other lease was signed
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2010, 09:19 AM

Hello j:

Assuming you gave proper notice, an extension the old lease isn't valid. A new one listing the only tenants as the two remaining roommates SHOULD have been signed, releasing your deposit.

I would write your landlord a certified letter stating the above and demand your deposit back, or you'll seek your remedies in small claims court.

excon

Nov 4, 2010, 10:44 AM
    I spoke with land lord and was told there was no lease between other roommates and if I wanted ny deposit they need to move out or pursue the roommates in small claims.

Landlord said her boss told her that she cannot refund my deposit because of premises not being vacate.

So if lease is over I am entitled to pursue the landlord in small cclaims for my portion?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 12:38 PM

LL is wrong but apparently stubborn too. I am assuming and hoping you did give him YOUR 30 day notice, did you. If you did not give notice the lease may have a auto renewal aspect and then you'd be on the hook. If he will not give you your deposit you can sue him for treble damages, this may help him rethink his poisition. What state are you in?

Nov 4, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Well this situation gets tricky I was sued by roommates for leaving early from apt. I notified LL then I was leaving. Judge found roommates guilty for not mitigating damages and said I am not liable for the rest of the lease.
    This was 3 months ago . LL knows of this

I live in California I have copy of lease and nothing on it says anything repeating the lease for upcoming months.

Nov 5, 2010, 07:32 PM
    LL keeps telling me although leas she cannot give me my part of the deposit beucz roommate r still in apartment.

She insist that I must ask roommates to pay me my part of deposit. I've spoken to n attorney in the area n found. LL owes me deposit .

I am taking to small claims . Do I take LL or her company ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit: Am I entitled to the full security deposits based on the following [ 5 Answers ]

Can a NY landlord, claim charges for the following: 1. cleaning an apartment myself? 2. an extra dog kept without landlord's permission 3. companion that lived for two months in the apartment without the landlord's permission.

My Landloed has not provided a certificate of deposit for security deposit [ 3 Answers ]

I have requested several times,verbally, a receipt for an escrow account for my 2100 dollar security deposit. The landlord has not complied and I feel he has spent the money. I called him on several occasions which finally he picked up the phone. I told him to figure on picking up the rent...

Security Deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm new. I live in NJ, and my landlord failed to inform me where my security deposit was within the 30 day law requirements. The landlord resides on the second floor and in the attic is her sister and nephews. I reside on the first floor. Can I use my security deposit for my rent?

Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I have given the two months notice, before we moved in Apartment not cleaned and the Land Lord is aware, also the maintenance manager came in and saw it and signed a paper that nothing was cleaned . He told as that when we moved out we did not have to clean, he would have it cleaned on his...

View more questions Search