Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hafaadai Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 07:23 PM
    How much wire should be in contact with a terminal screw?
    I'm attaching a thermostat, and have the correct wires to the correct terminals, but because I'm a bit afraid of electricity, and therefore don't know much, I'm not sure how much of the stripped wire needs to be in contact with the terminal. Also, the wire seems all snug, but the minute I start to tighten the screw, it seems to lose contact!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 08:13 PM
    Is this a low voltage T'stat or baseboard heat type? Baseboard heaters have a 240V t'stat while most others are are low voltage and you won't get electrocuted on these but sure can @240V. The wire around the terminal should go 2/3 around the screw, wrapped the way the screw tightens. If the wire tightens and then loosens, you may have stripped the threads. Sometimes you can get a larger screw with a cutting thread that will re-thread the hole. Otherwise, you may need a new t'stat and they're not too expensive. Some people cheat by putting thin wires in the thread hole and then re screwing it . However, the loose wires can sometimes short the t'stat.
    Hafaadai Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 09:02 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Thanks! It is low voltage, I had the furnace turned off,realized after I wrote question that I was trying to screw the wire opposite the way the screw tightens.\! Once I figured THAT out, I decided most of wire should touch screw and wa-la!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Glad we could help. I find a lot of wires put on backwards, even in DIY magazines! Brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you wire a 3 way switch - black screw connected to white wire is this right? [ 28 Answers ]

I have a 3 way switch I am replacing. It has 4 wires coming out of the outlet. The top two terminals I am going to wire Red left and Black right. The bottom two terminals will be ground left and white right on the black screw terminal. This does not seem right, but an electrician said it is...

Connecting a #14 stranded wire to a #8 screw terminal [ 4 Answers ]

What are 5 products that could be used to connect a #14 stranded wire to a #8 screw terminal?

Why was the Blue wire connected to a blank screw? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I just replaced my old mercury thermostat with a Honeywell RTH2310. The old wires were : yellow connected to a "Y" screw, Green connected to a "G" screw, White connected to a "W" screw, red wire connected to "Rh" screw and a Blue wire was connected to a blank screw, but was right next to an...

Yikes! Does the blue thermostat wire go to the C terminal? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to install a Honeywell RTH7600 programmable thermostat. I've detached my old thermostat, and I'm trying to figure out how to match up the wires. It's heat and air conditioning, and the old thermostat was a pretty basic, older round variety (also honeywell). Problem is that I...

12-gauge wire will not fit in 20A outlet screw terminal [ 10 Answers ]

I have run conduit which came with 3-wire 12 gauge standed cable. I have it going to a 20A outlet, but all of the strands will not fit in the screw terminal. The breaker is a 15A. Can I trim a few of the 12 gauge strands to get the wire to fit onto the screw terminal? Are electrical outlets also...

View more questions Search