Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WonderXman Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 03:09 PM
    Is a verbel agreement to move into an apartment just like a written one ?
    (Illinois) Friend of mine just got the OK to rent an apartment for a couple (verbal aggreement). We (mostly I) already have moved 98% of her funiture into the new place (she has keys to the place), old landlord was given notice, and now the couple is going through some problems in their marriage, and the husband wants to stay in the apartment. Does my friend have to move immediately. And isn't the fact that they said she could move in, a binding contract. And the fact almost all her furniture is already in the apartment ( major pain in the *** to get there) mean she now has the right to live there, or that she has taken possion of the aprtment ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2010, 05:50 AM

Hello W:

In your case, it doesn't matter whether a written lease takes precedence over a verbal one, because your friend ONLY has a verbal one. Therefore, the verbal one, being the ONLY agreement between them, will be enforced...

But, that doesn't really solve your friends problem... She's ONLY a month to month tenant, and can be given 30 days written notice to vacate. At least she doesn't have to move NOW.

What I would do, is have your friend write the landlord a certified letter explaining that she has an agreement and has taken possession of the premises.. No need to mention 30 days written notice. Let the landlord seek his own legal advice.

excon

Nov 4, 2010, 06:41 PM
    First of all, thanks for repling so quickly. I think they know, we already moved most of her stuff in, but I believe it is a bunch of crap, that this dude would pull some crap like that to someone who technically already moved in ( if I am diggin what you are sayin) So, in a nutshell, since she already has taken possession of the premises,with no utillieties in her name or having changed her address to there yet, they now have to give her a 30 day notice to vacate ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 06:45 PM

Change of utilities or address change is not related to a rental.
    It is an agreement, I will assume she paid her deposit and was given a key to move in by the landlord or management company.

That means the old renter had already moved out ( since she has already moved most of her stuff in)

She took possession when she paid and was given a key.
    This is a verbal, and the old renter has no right to the rental property at this point.

The landlord can as noted give them notice to move but can not make them move out without formal evictions

Nov 4, 2010, 07:32 PM
    Thank you Fr Chuck for responding. I don't know if she gave the depoist yet, but I do know she has keys. The couple that are having problems are the landlords, and it is the husband takes is going to stay in the apartment. This stinks to high heaven, I mean she said her current landlord begged her to stay, but she didn't want to, and old landlord made a call to the current couple, and now they are having problems and he needs to stay there, and for go any money coming in for renting the place to someone else, so he can stay there... sounds too convenint for me, but she is the type that doesn't want to have people mad at her so she takes **** from people and they take advantage of her, when she needs to fire back... course that's just my theroy I could be wrong
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderXman View Post
    ... old landlord was given notice, and now ... husband wants to stay in the apartment. ...
    Did the old tenants (and particularly the husband who wants to stay) have a lease? Had it expired? Were they given due notice to vacate? Has that notice period expired?

Your friend, who has half moved in, should think about asking for a written lease, as well as waiver of rental payments until the old codger is gone. It's up to the LL to get him out (by eviction or whatever it takes).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Written agreement altered [ 12 Answers ]

I formally cancelled my gym membership (signed gyms cancellation agreement). The next day the gym called me and attempted to convince me to suspend my membership for 6 months and then later, at that time I can decide to continue "without paying an enrollment fee" or cancel. Knowing that I had a...

No verbal or written agreement [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone collect on a gift, they are now calling loan? Have not seen this person for 4 years until yesterday opened the door and there he stood with 2 other men. Invited him in thinking this was a visit or had not seen him for 4 years. He told me that he wanted the money he had spent on the...

Subletting w/o a written agreement [ 32 Answers ]

I cannot find any state or federal law governing the rights of subletters that have not signed a written lease in the sate of California. My question is that my roommate and I have been sharing a 2 bedroom apt for a bit more (and by a bit I mean weeks) than a year. He has decided that for whatever...

No written lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

No lease between landlord and myself. Landlord refuses to make repairs. I have not paid rent. Have only been in house for 2months Landlord send a typed letter stating he wants me out in 6days. Is that legal in Indiana?

View more questions Search