Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amirfs137 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 12:20 PM
    High Water Consumption
    Our water company claims that we have consumed 183,000 gallons in one quarter. Only two of us, no leak, no swimming pool, no sprinkler, and no unusual consumption. Our average consumption has been around 12,000 gallons per quarter for the last 10 years. Can the meter spike for some reason? The meter reading was 444,000 last quarter and 629,000 this quarter. Somehow the meter has spiked. I do not know how that could happen.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 03:56 PM

Have you asked them to come and change out your meter?

Nov 3, 2010, 04:50 PM
    Yes they came out and replaced the meter. They said that the meter will be checked out in the lab.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 06:28 PM

If the meter is older than say 5 years then the meter went bad. Whatever you do don't take the old meter back if you see the new meter "behaves" and not gives you such outlandish readings. I had an electric meter that got "fried" during an electrical storm and they gave me a new meter while my old meter was being tested. Odd, but my new meter actually read less in the several years I've had it now than the old meter ever did. Meters do go bad whether they are electric or water. My neighbor waited too long to get his electric meter replaced that was damaged in the same storm that mine was and would have to pay the $100 charge. He chose not to pay the $100 and kept having outrageous electric bills. He never was too smart to begin with. Now he pays an average of $75 to $100 more a month...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 06:56 PM

Where they working off the actually digits on the meter or do you have a remote reader?

Nov 4, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Remote reader

Nov 4, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    However, there numbers matched actual meter readout

Nov 4, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    The new meter is reading correctly. They took the meter away for lab test. Could they fix it before testing? I will be there when they test it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 12:21 PM

Has there been any work done in your neighborhood on the watrer or sewer lines? Air spins a meter just as water does, any air in your lines

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High fuel consumption [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, Who ha sthe rough idea of what is the ideal fuel consumption /100km highway driving for a 2000 cc mitsubishi GDI Engine

High fuel consumption [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently driving a 2000 Volvo S40 T4, and have realized that within the last 2 months my fuel/gas consumption has increased dramatically. I would appreciate advise on what to do and what the cause may be as it has not been in for servicing that it is due for at the workshop.

High fuel consumption [ 1 Answers ]

I have honda 1997 model v6 engine the fuel consumption is high, tell me the normal fuel consumption in litres/km and solution to this high fuel consumption. Thanks. >Moved to Cars & Trucks Board<

Refrigerator - Consumption of power very high [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all My refrigerator has suddenly started consuming the 5000KW(approx) power in a day.. Can someone tell me that what can be the possible reasons for that Thanks in advance Saurabh

High fuel consumption [ 4 Answers ]

My Honda Civic 91 DX has bad gas mileage - about 21MPG. What could be the cause of it? I know underinflated tires can cause it, but my tires are properly inflated (as Service Manual states). I have the following items all new, so I should remove them from the list of possible causes: oxygen...

View more questions Search