Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nikkisalyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 10:32 AM
    Breaking apartment lease
    I signed a apartment lease yesterday in Texas, and I will like to back out of the lease today without paying a reletting fee of nearly 600 dollars. The landlord illegally changed my income on my application so that it would fit the requirement of renting. Though she was trying to be nice, I come to the realization that this will not be affordable being I am a college student. Can I somehow get out of this lease within this 24 hr period without paying?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2010, 10:37 AM

This is a tough one. You signed the lease knowing what the costs would be and knowing that the landlord had fudged the income. I think a court would require the penalty.

But talk to the landlord. Since its only one day and since the landlord probably doesn't want a tenant who will have problems paying he may let you out. If he does get the release in writing.
    Nikkisalyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This is a tough one. You signed the lease knowing what the costs would be and knowing that the landlord had fudged the income. I think a court would require the penalty.

But talk to the landlord. Since its only one day and since the landlord probably doesn't want a tenant who will have problems paying he may let you out. If he does get the release in writing.
    ***Thank you! I am actually heading down there now to speak with her. I am hoping she works with me on this. Thank you for the response Scott!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2010, 10:43 AM

Good luck and keep us posted.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkisalyer View Post
    ... The landlord illegally changed my income on my application so that it would fit the requirment of renting. Though she was trying to be nice, ...
    The LL normally would not have had to fudge the application, but could simply have ignored the income. Which suggests to me that she needed to get it approved by someone else. Rental guarantee program of some sort perhaps? If they find out about this she could be in trouble.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 11:31 AM

When did you realize your income amount had been altered? I think you are going to be held responsible for the reletting fee, aybe even full rent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking apartment lease [ 3 Answers ]

I signed a one year lease this past July. I have to move to new orleans to help my sick mother. What can the apartment complex to do me if I move out next week. I don't have any money to pay out the remainder of the lease. I don't have any assets. Will I go to jail for this.

Breaking my lease on apartment [ 1 Answers ]

Can I legally break my apartment lease if I am relocating to another state

Breaking an apartment lease [ 2 Answers ]

How do I break my lease due to my job relocation?

Breaking An Apartment Lease in PA [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into my apartment and signed a lease on September 12, 2007. On September 25 and 27, there were two assaults on the property where two people almost died because they were beaten by someone with a hammer. I am new to PA and to living by myself (I am a single woman) and this scared me. I...

View more questions Search