Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deme27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 06:46 AM
    Why do dogs have so many pups?
    Hello, my ten year old asked the question... why do dogs have so many puppies. Of course she stumped us, so I am taking it upon myself to ask a professional. Thanks, Ms. Deme...
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 06:58 AM

Hard coded into the DNA... since long before they were domesticated. Mortality rates are high in the wild... the more offspring you have the higher the chance some will survice to maturity to procreate again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 week old pups! [ 1 Answers ]

Could anyone give me any info on what 2 do? I have 7 3 week old american bullys, all of them are huge active pups,they are even pinching mums food! The last few days mum has been really dwn and low energy, I suspected mastitis and took her 2 vets today and I was ryt, vet said 2 separate mum and...

No pups [ 2 Answers ]

I have another question. I bred my Yorkie (2 years old) mid May. She should've been About 71/2 weeks now. The vet could not feel any pups. She had not been eating for awhile and had to be coaxed and treated. Tonight she ate regular kibble, and ate more Than ever. She started having very...

What do I feed my pups? [ 1 Answers ]

My chihuahua delivered her puppies very greatly although 1 died we still have two very healthy chihuahua pups. They are 3 weeks old about to be 4 on Tuesday. I visited this site saying I should give them mushy food for one meal a day. Does anyone know what type of mushy food to give them? Help...

5 week old boxer pups [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how often my Boxer Mom needs to be feeding her 7 pups a day. I have started feeding them moistened puppy chow with warm water and milk supplement. I need to know how often she still needs to feed them. Also how do I wean them and at what age?

What ARE these pups? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We've recently taken in two puppies that were dropped off on a friend's doorstep. I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the mix might be. These pictures are both of the girl (they look very similar.) I've had pit bull suggested, but we're really not sure. Is there any way to tell...

View more questions Search