Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edshqip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Dishwasher
    I have recenetly purchased a dish washer and th guy who installed it hoocked it up with the cold water. The dishwasher oparates with cold water at the moment. How would I change it to the hot water? Can someone give me some sugestions. Thank you.
    Mattlynn Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jan 4, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by edshqip
    i have recenetly purchased a dish washer and th guy who installed it hoocked it up with the cold water. The dishwasher oparates with cold water at the moment. How would i change it to the hot water ?? Can someone give me some sugestions. Thank you.
    The majority of dishwashers run on cold water, as they have thir own element for heating the water.
    Washing machines generally run on both supplies to aid the heating of water.
    Be careful if you decide to swap to hot. The main reasonbeing is that the olives/valves within the feed pipework too, and inside the machines are made of a rubber compound. If you swap to hot, the temp of the water will erode and decay the valves, and you will have leaks everywhere - it may take sometime though.
    Best option is to check with the manufactuer first.
    Matt
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2007, 10:44 AM
    "The majority of dishwashers run on cold water, as they have thir own element for heating the water."
    Not quite so, If the dishwasher has only one inlet then it must hook up to hot water.

Look in your users manual to double check but for my money the plumber goofed, (it was a plumber that hooked it up wasn't it?) he hooked you up to the wrong supply.

"Be careful if you decide to swap to hot. The main reasonbeing is that the olives/valves within the feed pipework too, and inside the machines are made out of a rubber compound. If you swap to hot, the temp of the water will erode and decay the valves, and you will have leaks everywhere."

Ridiculous! The valves are made of brass with neoprene gaskets. The only thing that will "erode and decay" neoprene is if you lubed them with oil or any petroleum product. If you can give me the brand name and model number of the dish washer I'll clear this up ASAP. For my money call the company that installed it and have them do it right. Regards, Tom
    Deandome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Matt, I'll try to be polite, but are you high?

Pick a Bosch installation manual... any of em: Bosch home appliances - Product Manuals

How 'bout Kitchenaid (page 5): KitchenAid

Dishwashers are ALWAYS supposed to use hot water... ALWAYS!! Heating elements are only used to boost the temp of your hot water for things like "Sani Washes" 'n stuff. They are designed to handle temps up to 175 deg... maybe more. The hotter the BETTER!!

Your installer totally messed up, Ed. Have THEM fix it, don't do it yourself. And make sure they properly seal off the cold connection, too... though it's sometimes nice to have a cold water feed available for things like RO filters, plumb-able coffemakers, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New dishwasher [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Rather new to this I'm afraid so please excuse me for being a little blonde. I live in a rented house and the landlords dishwasher went wrong recently so he had it removed but not replaced. Have managed to get a 2nd hand one but no instructions with it (DOH! ) Anyway this new one has 2 pipes...

Dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

Would you please be able to tell me how to hook up the drain for my dishwasher. I have two waste lines from the wall. One for the sink and other for the dishwasher. I know normally you would just go into the tail for the sink, but I've never done it to its own waste outlet. Thanks Rick Today,...

Dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

HELLO, I am taking out a dishwasher and putting it in storage in the garage that has no heat and subject to freezing temps. Do I have to put antifreeze in before I do it? Thank you!

Dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

My Whirlpool Quiet Partner 1 always has water on the indside door when I unload it. My silverware basket is in the door, so my utensils are wet. Is this a defect in the dishwasher or is my drain line responsible? My dishwasher is only 6 months old!

View more questions Search