Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juliette21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 08:04 PM
    How to evict someone never on a lease, I don't even know who they are?
    I have a rental property with an unpermitted addition in the back. The rental was leased to a couple of people who then let 3 other people move into this back addition without my knowledge. The original tenants moved out (thankfully) and I have rented the property to someone else. But the 3 people they let move into the addition won't leave! I don't know who these people are to even attempt to evict them. They were never rented the property, aren't on any lease, I don't have any of there names. Twice they have been arrested for having stolen property, but they always leave someone in the addition. I have called the police, but they say they can't do anything because these people are considered tenants. I feel they are just trespassers. What can I do? By the way this is in California
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 07:06 AM
    If they are in possession of the premises, why not just go there and ask their names? The police concluded that "they are considered tenants" without obtaining names? Peculiar.

If they won't tell you, serve them with a notice to quit and then, when the notice period has expired, institute an eviction action, reciting that you don't know their names.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2010, 07:16 AM

If you know they were arrested then there should be a police report. That report should have the names.

I'm assuming you are an absentee landlord which is why you can't just ask. In that case I would hire a process server to serve them a notice to vacate within 30 days. If they don't vacate, then you may be able to file a John Doe eviction notice.

But the police are correct, these people have established residency which is why they need to be legally evicted.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 02:58 PM

Don't they pay any rent at all but just live there rent free? It was your own oversight to have the illegal addition put on in the back of your home in the first place. If and when you ever do get them to leave you need to pull the proper permits and get that additional legal with the county. They more than likely will "catch" you the next time they send out a property appraiser from the County and end up fining you good.

You need to pull the police report and get their names and do a formal eviction after posting the proper 3 or 10 day notice to leave the premises. And when you do go to court for the eviction proceedings be sure to get the priceless Order of Removal signed by the Judge. This way the police can legally bodily remove the squatters. Otherwise these critters CAN chose to just keep staying as an Order of Eviction cannot be handled by the cops to make them legally leave the premises. Just one more piece of paper but a very important piece of paper as these critters probably already are hip to the Order of Removal and won't leave home without it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to evict roommate not on lease [ 8 Answers ]

I took in a roommate about 8 months ago. The agreement was to stay temporarily, get a job, save some money and get his own place. I am 28 and he is 38 years old. I did not know the man real well but I had considered him 'a friend'. Since then he has had 2 jobs. One of which lasted less than a...

How to evict a tenant without a lease [ 2 Answers ]

In Illinois, how do I legally evict my tenant that does not have a lease for non payment of rent?

How would you evict someone without a lease agreement in KY? [ 3 Answers ]

My Grandmother owns a house that she rents out. There is a family of 3 Mother and 2 teenage daughters living in a small 2 bedroom house. There was no lease agreement signed, and they have been late on rent more than once. There is also suspicion that another person could be staying there as well....

How to evict a roommate on the lease. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roommate who has people over for parties all the time and doesn't respect other roommates privacy. I own the furniture in the house and all the bills are in my name. He pays one third of the rent, I pay the bills and he is on the lease. Do I have any rights to ask him to leave?

How to evict without a lease [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get tenants out who do not have a lease? The tenant also has 2 kids, she is 2 months behind on rent working on 3

View more questions Search