Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lamaalmasri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 05:09 PM
    What are some characters of brutus
    I really needed it for my english hw... I tried to answer it but I need some help
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 05:22 PM

from sparknotes.com --

In Julius Caesar, Brutus emerges as the most complex character and is also the play's tragic hero. In his soliloquies, the audience gains insight into the complexities of his motives. He is a powerful public figure, but he appears also as a husband, a master to his servants, a dignified military leader, and a loving friend. The conflicting value systems that battle with each other in the play as a whole are enacted on a microcosmic level in Brutus's mind. Even after Brutus has committed the assassination with the other members of the conspiracy, questions remain as to whether, in light of his friendship with Caesar, the murder was a noble, decidedly selfless act or proof of a truly evil callousness, a gross indifference to the ties of friendship and a failure to be moved by the power of a truly great man.

Brutus's rigid idealism is both his greatest virtue and his most deadly flaw. In the world of the play, where self-serving ambition seems to dominate all other motivations, Brutus lives up to Antony's elegiac description of him as “the noblest of Romans.” However, his commitment to principle repeatedly leads him to make miscalculations: wanting to curtail violence, he ignores Cassius's suggestion that the conspirators kill Antony as well as Caesar. In another moment of naïve idealism, he again ignores Cassius's advice and allows Antony to speak a funeral oration over Caesar's body. As a result, Brutus forfeits the authority of having the last word on the murder and thus allows Antony to incite the plebeians to riot against him and the other conspirators. Brutus later endangers his good relationship with Cassius by self-righteously condemning what he sees as dishonorable fund-raising tactics on Cassius's part. In all of these episodes, Brutus acts out of a desire to limit the self-serving aspects of his actions; ironically, however, in each incident he dooms the very cause that he seeks to promote, thus serving no one at all.

from studyworld.com --

Marcus Brutus had many characteristics which classify him
    as a tragic hero. Marcus Brutus was a highly renowned
    person. His leadership qualities were what allowed him to
    be in control of the group of assassins. Brutus was not
    either a saint or a sinner. His actions reflected his love
    for the republic and his willingness to preserve it at any
    cost. His fall was contributed to hubris, which caused him
    to think he was better than any other individual. He made
    the poor judgment of letting Mark Anthony speak at Caesar's
    funeral, shifting the support of the mob from Brutus to
    Anthony. Brutus suffered all out of proportion to his
    offense. His death at the end was worse then what he
    deserved, by having to land on his own sword rather than
    having a companion kill him.

To lamaalmasri --

Please Google in order to find help like the above information.
    lamaalmasri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 05:27 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Thank u so much, this is really helpful :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of 2 characters [ 0 Answers ]

Hi everybody Would somebody tell me what these characters mean? Thanks http://i.imagehost.org/0451/1_10.jpg

OS characters [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm not sure about these.. Can you please help? 1) The ____ is a wildcard character that represents one or more file name characters ? 2) Many Linux systems provide the ___ interface, which is built on top of X-Windows and resembles the Windows interface. GUI? 3) The standard KDE 3.1...

Book characters [ 10 Answers ]

Who are your favorite literary characters? Mine are Edward cullen and Harry Potter

Which comes first the outline or the characters? [ 13 Answers ]

How can you outline a story if you do not know the characters, and how can you get to know all the characters before you outline a story. I usually just start writing and let the characters lead the way, but I seldom finish, because I do not know how the story ends. That's my problem, how to...

View more questions Search