Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VRon1 Posts: 77, Reputation: 10

Nov 2, 2010, 05:04 PM
    What walks on 1 leg in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, & 3 in the evening?
    I know the answer but its from a famous Greek story, I think.
    Is it Oedipus, where he travels for a while and comes across this village that has this giant harassing it?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 05:35 PM

That's the Riddle of the Sphinx--four legs (not one leg) in the morning, etc.

The Riddle of the Sphinx
    VRon1 Posts: 77, Reputation: 10

Nov 3, 2010, 10:13 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    The sphinx? Is that the being that Oedipus goes up against?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 10:25 AM

From Wikipedia --

Many years later, Oedipus is told by a drunk that Polybus is not his real father but when he asks his parents, they deny it. Oedipus seeks counsel from the same Delphic Oracle. The Oracle does not tell him the identity of his true parents but instead tells him that he is destined to kill his father and marry his mother. In his attempt to avoid the fate predicted by the Oracle, he decides to not return home to Corinth. Since it is near to Delphi, Oedipus decides to go to Thebes.

Oedipus encounters a Sphinx which would stop all those who traveled to Thebes and ask them a riddle. If the travelers were unable to answer correctly, they were killed and eaten by the sphinx; if they were successful, they would be able to continue their journey. The riddle was: "What walks on four feet in the morning, two in the afternoon and three at night?". Oedipus answers: "Man; as an infant, he crawls on all fours, as an adult, he walks on two legs and, in old age, he relies on a walking stick". Oedipus was the first to answer the riddle correctly. Having heard Oedipus' answer, the Sphinx is astounded and inexplicably kills itself by throwing itself into the sea, freeing Thebes.

Grateful, the people of Thebes appoint Oedipus as their king and give him the recently widowed Queen Jocasta's hand in marriage.

Oedipus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dyed my hair blonde yesterday afternoon, it went coppery, safe to redye this evening? [ 2 Answers ]

I have dyed my hair blonde before, and was blonde when I dyed it yesterday, but it was only to touch up my roots. Now my hair has gone strwaberry blonde, is it safe to re-dye it this evening?

Evening or morning? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to lose weight for about 3 months now and haven't seen any improvement. If at all, I feel like I have gained. I only eat around once a day and snack through out the day. I have cut out cokes,and tea. I was a big tea drinker. Anyway, I still have to have some kind of caffeine...

Fan and compressor of AC will turn on in the morning but not in the afternoon or eve [ 3 Answers ]

AC will activate fine in the morning but not in the afternoon or evening. Furnace fan will run but AC unit's fan and compressor will not. If left to run all day it's fine. Will run all day. Is only connected to a basic thermostat. Any ideas?

Sex in the morning or evening? Trouble! [ 22 Answers ]

Hi all... I have a question about marriage and sex. I prefer sex at night, when we go to bed and my husband prefers it in the morning, when we wake up. I have a problem with it in the morning because sometimes (like this morning) a child is in our bed because of a bad dream, illness or...

View more questions Search