Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmoore80 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 04:01 PM
    What if both month to month and 1 year lease is on the agreement.
    I have a lease that is both singed as a month to month and also 1 year. Which part of the lease is legal? On one page of the lease is checked as month to month. On another page of the lease it says 1year lease. Which is legally binding. I am in the state of California.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2010, 04:05 PM

If the lease has a start and end date then the one year is probably in force. Otherwise its probably month to month.

Which do you want it to be and what does the landlord want?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 04:22 PM

At the end of the day, it will be up to a judge to decide. My guess is that the lease would stand,

Are you having an issue, if not merely ask the landlord to do a new one
    rmoore80 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 04:35 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    After looking at the lease. It would be easier to have a month to month lease. The landlord wants a year lease and it doesn't have a start and end date.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 04:35 PM
    I'm guessing that it's a year-long lease providing that rent is payable monthly. Perhaps someone confused the two concepts and checked the wrong box.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2010, 05:22 PM

First, please don't use the comments feature for follow-up. Use the Answer options instead.

Without seeing the lease its hard for us to say definitively. At this point I would let it alone, if you want to move out before the year, then it will probably go to court where a judge will decide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Year lease expired in January. Are we now a month to month? [ 4 Answers ]

Our one year lease expired in January. I called the landlord then and reminded him we needed to renew the lease. He said he would stop by and take care of it, but never did.After a couple more calls into him with nothing done I gave up. Did the lease then go to a month to month? I've read our...

Month to Month after a year, no notice specified in lease [ 2 Answers ]

We finished our 1 year lease in October and have since been going month to month. However there is nothing written in the lease where it says how many days notice we have to give. How many days notice do we have to give legally in VA? Thanks, Ed

Getting a month to month tenant to sign 1 year lease [ 2 Answers ]

My New Jersey tenant signed a 1 year lease that ended last year and stayed in the apartment on a month to month lease. I am now thinking of putting the bldg up for sale. Is it important to have all tenants with signed leases when I put it up for sale? They seem to be dragging their feet on signing...

View more questions Search