Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adkhkr Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 07:03 AM
    What size/type of gas line?
    I have a 200lb tank against the middle of the house in the backyard. Now that it is nearing empty I would like to move it to the side of the house. It will be 10' away from my central air conditioner compressors, which is the required distance in my area.

Right now, coming out of the tank is 1/2" OD soft copper which goes directly to my stove. I am relocating it 30' away. While I am doing this I would like to plan for a future gas dryer and BBQ hookup. These connection points will be in the vicinity of the existing tank location. What size and type of pipe should I use for the new 30' section before it T's off to the stove, dryer and BBQ.

Also, I plan on strapping the new section of gas line to the underside of my deck so it will not be underground.

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2007, 07:55 AM
    "What size and type of pipe should I use for the new 30' section before it T's off to the stove, dryer and BBQ."
    You have a choice between black iron threaded pipe and type "L" soft copper using flare joint fittings,(the easiest). I would increase the pipe ID to 3/4" to handle the extra load in case you have them all on at the same time. Good luck, Tom

Jan 4, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Thanks for the quick response.

So you can use black pipe outside? I was under the impression that you had to use galvanized outside and black pipe inside (if you didn't use soft copper).
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2007, 10:58 AM
    You NEVER use galvanized for gas lines. The galvanize flakes off and clogs the orfices. Unless you have a pipe vice, pipe cutters and stocks and dyes copper and flare fittings is the way to go. Regards, tom

Jan 4, 2007, 11:40 AM
    I have no problem getting the black pipe and fittings. It is much cheaper so I think I might go that route. Do you have to coat/paint black pipe with something when it is exposed outdoors?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adkhkr
    I have no problem getting the black pipe and fittings. It is much cheaper so I think I might go that route. Do you have to coat/paint black pipe with something when it is exposed outdoors?
    Be aware that black iron pipe can rust so I wouild paint it with a protective coating . Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Stoves connection to gas line [ 2 Answers ]

I had a serviceman connect my gas stove/range back up to the gas line. When I asked him if he used teflon tape or liquid pipe dope he said neither as my compression fittings was a type that did not need it. I was not aware there was such a compression fitting. The gas line does not appear to be...

What type of pipe for buried water line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had a pipe break recently in the water line running to a workshop behind my house. The existing pipe is galvanized that was buried and eventually rusted through. I want to abandon the pipe completely and run a new line. I am on a budget so... What about the white plastic pipe? What...

Gas line to exterior gas lantern [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to run a gas line from the main gas supply of my home, to a gas lantern about 140 ft away. The line will need to be buried in the ground and will have to pass underneath my driveway. I believe there is a flexible line with a trace wire that can be used. I want to do the majority of the...

Gas Lawn chief 540 14/43 BELT size? [ 2 Answers ]

Broke a belt (again) and have discarded the belt - now I need a replacement and have no idea what belt size to us. Wish I hadn't thrown the belt out - doh. Jacques [email protected]

Supply line size [ 2 Answers ]

http://home.comcast.net/~lpeery1/images/plumbing.jpg I need to run supply lines for a bar sink, toilet, bath sink all sharing the same wall (3 colds, 2 hots). Should the two horizontal supply lines I bring over off the main 3/4 inch lines be 1/2 inch or 3/4. Thanks, Larry

View more questions Search