Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confusedcanuck Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 01:54 AM
    240V Halogen GU10 Mains on a 120V Circuit ?
    I recently came across some GE 240V halogen bulbs in England, they are a GU10 type base and MR16 size/shape/type(?) bulb. They are not available in North America yet and having been available for some time in the UK and Europe, it doesn't look promising they will be on the market here anytime soon.. . The lights are coloured , and the light emitted from these bulbs is multicoloured depending on which angle the bulb is viewed at.They are truly amazing. I want to know if I import these bulbs that are meant for a 240V system/ circuit, can I run them on a 110V Gu10 Mains track ? The 240V bulbs come in 50w and 35w at that voltage rating. Or is is possible to get the track here and use a step up transformer to operate the bvulbs at their specified voltage? Or do I have to order a complete gu10 mains track, fixtures and the likes from the UK, and use a step up transformer to operate these bulbs in my home. Any help is appreciated !
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Unfortunately, lighting circuits in the US is limited to 120 volts, due to the NEC Section 210.6.

I am a bit confiused on the lamp you are looking at, is it a colored lamp, red, blue, etc, or do you truly mean "mulitcolored"?

When you say 'light emitted from these bulbs is light emitted from these bulbs is multicoloured depending on which angle the bulb is viewed at", I take it that when you look into the bulb/reflector, you are seeing several colors in the reflector, but the light is white as seen on the surface.

Most of GE MR16 have that "multicoloured" effect ins the reflector, so a bit more detail would help me understand what you are seeing or looking for.

I do find that GE only makes colored MR16 lamps for the European market, and none for the US market, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for.

If you can provide the actual part number of the lamp you need would help.

For the UK you need to use the GE European site :Homepage: GE Consumer & Industrial - Lighting, and chose the county/language.

To find a US lamp, use: GELighting.com Global Splash Page

Jan 4, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Hello,
    Thanks for the response, the bulb can be viewed at

http://www.gelighting.com/EULCTLG/Di...DS&chkView=IDS

What I am getting at is can I operate the bulbs on a gu10 type track at 120V if I import them , or do I have to buy the track fixtures & bulbs from the UK? As well as a step up transformer?

The light is actually more than one colour, if it was shone at say a 60 degree angle against a wall, you would see green first, then yellow, then orange, then red at the focal point of the beam.
    Anymore help is greatly appreciated.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 01:21 PM
    The link does not work, I had the same problem trying to get a GE link to you, can you try another method, or just give me the actual catalog or product code number.

Jan 4, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The link does not work, I had the same problem trying to get a GE link to you, can you try another method, or just give me the actual catalog or product code number.
    It can only be found on the UK / European site, here are the exact specs from the page.

GE Code 12988
    GE Description OT*Q50MR16 240V GU10 RED GEST BX 1/10
    Finish Coated
    EAN Code 0043168129886
    DUN Code 20043168129880
    Outer Quantity 10
    Foot Notes Q50MR16/240/FLSTART

If you go to the european page and under e-catalogue, click halogen, scroll down to find
    MR16 Mains start coloured
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Yes found those, and wanted to give you the link but I found it did not work, same as yours, the red you mention, along with blue, green and yellow lamps.

I cannot say how the light appears, and I did look at the GE North America site and unable to find a US equivalent.

I did send an email request to GE, let's see if they get back with an answer.

I even checked Osram Sylvania and Phillips with no luck.

As I stated, in the US lighting circuits can only be 120 volts, so I cannot advice you any further as to how to use the UK 240 volt lamp.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay halogen [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchase 2 Hampton Bay Accent lighting systems(models147-466 and 148-652). My question is can I wire them toghter. No where on the boxes does it say whether this can be done, but model 147-466 say itcan take up to 200wats. With both system it only 120 wats. These are going under my kitchen...

120V heater tape off a 240V source. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My question is very similar to HandyJohn's and much my question was answered in is post. Mostly verifying my suspicion of needing a step down transformer here. Just wondering if you know of any simpler options I may be overlooking outside of running a dedicated line. Here's my...

Converting 240V thermostat to programmable [ 1 Answers ]

Recently purchased a low-voltage programmable thermostat for the girlfriend to replace her ancient Cadet model but found it was unusable as she has a 240V (Single black, single red + ground wire) in-wall electric heater. Are there programmable thermostats for this type of system or do they only...

Wiring 120V light from 240V source [ 6 Answers ]

I currently have a well house that has a 240V source on 12-2 wire powering a submersible well pump. I would like to wire in a 120V light. Can this be done using the 12-2 wire already in place or do I need to remove the 12-2 wire and install 12-3 wire? (It is approximately 60ft from the main house...

Mains electricity question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I live in spain where the electricity mains are 220V 50Hz. I live about 400 metres from town and have a cable which contains 2 wires with a diameter of 10 (not sure what the ten stands for) that runs to my house and delivers mains current. I supply the third ground wire at site with a...

View more questions Search