Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bparks1578 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 05:20 PM
    Can Grants be obtained for restoring antique automobiles
    I have an antique police car. It's a 1972 Ford Custom, 429 Cobra Jet Police Interceptor package vehicle that I found in a "barn," literally, some 10 years ago. It is of historical significance because Ford did not make many of them, and this car is only one of one made like it. Ford mad eonly this car in this color with these options and no other was made like it. The only other REAL, all numbers matching car of this ilk is one that was retained by the Kentucky State Police and restored by them several years ago. I know of no other car like this that exists. This car is to be restored as a Connecticut State Police car, to be paraded, used, and commemorated by their museum located in Meriden, CT. Can you please help us find some funding for completionof the restoration of this very special, very rare, very historically significant car. Thank you, Bill Parks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 06:45 PM

Have you checked with local Ford dealers, local police departments ( and police faternity groups) There are not really "grants" but you may find funding from historical groups.

Also consider selling advertising , notes or signs that will show the work done and advertising for those companies that helped pay for the funding
    gtech78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 08:45 PM
    You may want to go to the CTSP museum directly and see if they will help you with information and guide you towards some funding. Most of these police museums don't have the best funding so it could be a limited situation for your restoration. 1972's are pretty well turned into Toyotas by now so I'm sure they will be thrilled to see a living example!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 02:37 PM

If you intend to maintain ownership of the car you will probably find it difficult to get people to make gifts to you to fix it up. Instead I suggest you work a deal with the museum you mentioned, where you donate the car to them and then they help raise funds for its restoration. Assuming the museum is a properly set up 510(c)3 organization they can solicit tax-deductible donations from locals or people interested in this type for project. And you get to claim the gift of the car as a charitable donation.
    pc0k894 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 27, 2010, 02:31 PM
    Grants are not awarded to people with extensive criminal records, multiple convictions, those who have served time or have a history of mental illness. So make certain you don't fall into any of those categories, especially you're still living in the same state.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grants for Restoring old cars [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I get a grant to restore vintage automobiles?

Selling Automobiles [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone have any information on the best way to go when trying to sell a vehicle you still owe on? Instead of having to bring negative equity over into a new vehicle, I would rather try to sell mine and let someone else take over the payments. My trade in value is less than payoff...

Antique guitar Valuating/Restoring [ 10 Answers ]

I have recently purchased an italian acoustic guitar which I am quite certain is an antique. I bought it as a restoration project as it is slightly damaged but now believe that any work done to it will decrease its value. Inside is a label which has parts missing due to age but the following can be...

Hybrid automobiles [ 6 Answers ]

Would like to know the good and bad experiences people who now own hybrid cars have had. Planning on buying a new car this October and need info to make a smart decision. Plan on going to the auto show at McCormick Place so I can ask ?'s directly and see what will be offered for the 2006 year in...

View more questions Search