Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevepwills Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 01:00 PM
    I leant my friend £1100 a year ago, and he is now denying he has to pay it back.
    I leant my friend £900 to put a deposit down on a flat this time last year, also £200 to live off as at the time he was out of work. He promised me he would pay me back in 2 months and I trusted him. I did everything for him, leant him my car all the ime to see his family, took him out for drinks all the time etc. we have since fallen out as he beat his girlfriend up and I don't want friends like that, she got back with him, turned him totally against me and now is denying having to pay any of it back. What do I do? Is court the best option, and if so how do I go about it?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 1, 2010, 02:21 PM
    Do you have any of this in WRITING otherwise it's simply going to be a case of their word against yours.
    Evidence is everything.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 03:36 PM

You are in the UK? I don't know precisely how small claims works there, but I could look for some links. Where in the UK are you, England, Scotland, Wales, Or Northern Ireland?

Nov 25, 2010, 08:23 AM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    I'm in england, northampton. I also lent him a fridge freezer and have just found out that he had moved away and taken it with him. Cheers

Nov 25, 2010, 08:26 AM
    Comment on Curlyben's post
    I have a bank statement which showes the £900 going into his account but the rest was me taking money out and lending it to him.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 25, 2010, 09:17 AM

First please don't use the comments feature for followups. Use the Answer options instead.

Your bank statement only show you gave him the money, it doesn't show that you expected him to pay it back. Without such proof, you are unlikely to get the money back.

Next time get the borrower to sign a note.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you get the tax you pay on your 401k cash out back the following year [ 4 Answers ]

Will I get any of the tax I pay on the cash out of my 401k?

I broke up with my ex a year ago but I am not sure if I want him back? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I broke up with him a year and something ago I still think about him but I am not sure whether this is just a normal procedure because we have been together for four years and its quite difficult to forget them or I am still in love with him. I believe that lot of the magic is gone.

View more questions Search