Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeunknown Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Nov 1, 2010, 10:57 AM
    If our sun was to collapse on itself how long would it take to reach earth.
    If our sun was to explode as all stars do eventually, how long would it take for our planet to know? With light traveling at a constant speed I was told that light takes seven minutes to reach earth. Light travels at 299,792,458 m/s. (Hope I'm correct on that). So what amount of time would it take for the suns heat to stop transferring to the earth? Part #2: In which case the sun explodes would the explosion reach earth before we knew what had happened? Would the energy released be string enough to destroy earth? (Probably, but... ). I'm intrested on theories as well. Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeunknown View Post
    If our sun was to explode as all stars do eventually,
    Not true. Stars of the sun's mass do not explode in a nova, but rather age into a red giant. Not that this detail really matters - when this happens the earth will be incinerated one way or the other. But no mighty explosion is in store for us.

how long would it take for our planet to know? With light traveling at a constant speed I was told that light takes seven minutes to reach earth. Light travels at 299,792,458 m/s. (Hope I'm correct on that).
    Right - so if the sun exploded the first that we'd be aware of it is a bit over 7 minutes after it actually happens.

So what amount of time would it take for the suns heat to stop transferring to the earth?
    I don't understand this question. Do you mean, how long do super novae last?

Part #2: In which case the sun explodes would the explosion reach earth before we knew what had happened?
    We'd first be cooked by a shower of photons that incinerate us, which of course you wouldn't see until they were already here. The blast wave of particles would arrive and mechanically wipe everything out a few minutes later. It would be like being subjected to a nuclear exposion - you're incinerated by the heat before the blast wave tears you apart.

Would the energy released be string enough to destroy earth? (Probably, but...).
    Let's just say it would not be a good day.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 12:14 PM

Well, I've got a book saying that we have about 5 thousand million years before it becomes a red giant.

But I saw nowhere that our sun will explode, which agrees to what ebaines said.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 12:30 PM

Let me put it you this way, this will not happen in our lives, or our children's, or our children's children, etc...

I would be more afraid of World war 3.

Nov 3, 2010, 07:09 AM
    I had read that a stars mass can implode on itself and cause a supernova, creating a newer, smaller star.
    What I was trying to get at was... How long (Minutes, Hours etc.) would a human on earth know that the sun had become a red giant and was about to destroy everything within it's radius. Would it be instantanouse? Also, say we see a giant flash of light. Would the massive heat be slower to reach the earth?
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 07:32 AM

For the sun to become a giant will take time.

According to my book, the sun will gradually become bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by The Universe by David Bengamini 1968
    But long before that (the giant red), rising temperature caused by the sheer weight of ash in its core will start other nuclear processes and the sun will start burning its fuel much faster than it does now. About 5000 million years from now, the speed-up will begin and the sun will start swelling; its output of energy will increase. In another thousand million years (red giant), the average temperature of the earth will rise to something like 550 C, the oceans will boil away and lead will melt like molasses. In the words of Palomar's Allan Sandage, "Conditions will be miserable".

Later, the sun will shrink again, perhaps undergoing its last long death throes, it will continue to shrink while the fires inside it go out and the only glow it emits is energy from the gravitational squeeze of its spent, collapsing matter. Little by little, it will dwindle until it is smaller than the earth, its gases so densely packed that a bucketful of them would weight more than a battleship. For hundreds of thousands of millions of years more, the sun will continue to cool, giving off only infra-red rays. Then it will go out completely, black and cold as the most remote regions of space around it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 3, 2010, 07:41 AM
    I had read that a stars mass can implode on itself and cause a supernova, creating a newer, smaller star.
    What I was trying to get at was... How long (Minutes, Hours etc.) would a human on earth know that the sun had become a red giant and was about to destroy everything within it's radius. Would it be instantanouse? Also, say we see a giant flash of light. Would the massive heat be slower to reach the earth?
    In theory IF the sun were to explode, which it won't as previously posted, but IF it did, ebaines hit the nail firmly on the head right here.

Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Part #2: In which case the sun explodes would the explosion reach earth before we knew what had happened?
    We'd first be cooked by a shower of photons that incinerate us, which of course you wouldn't see until they were already here. The blast wave of particles would arrive and mechanically wipe everything out a few minutes later. It would be like being subjected to a nuclear exposion - you're incinerated by the heat before the blast wave tears you apart.
    So as photon's travel at the speed of light, after all that's exactly what they are, we'd be cooked about 7 minutes after the sun exploded.
    I suppose the "lucky" ones could survive a little longer if they were on the dark side, so shielded from the sun, but the actual explosion would soon finish them off anyway.

Nov 3, 2010, 07:53 AM
    So if the sun gradually will get bigger won't it's gravity increase before the heat becomes to intense?
    Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 07:57 AM
    You're confusing super novas and red giants. A nova is what happens to start at least one and a half times out own sun's mass. After the explosion you end up with a high density white dwarf, or for very masive stars a neutron star. But again, this is not in store for our sun.

A red giant occurs when a sun like our own exhausts most of its hydrogen supply, and starts "burning" heavier elements such as helium, carbon, oxygen etc. up through iron. This will start in another 5 billion years or so. The process will take millions of years, so earth's inhabitants will have lots of warning. As part of that process the sun will actually lose much of its mass, which means the force of gravity between earth and sun will be reduced, and the earth's orbit will shift outward - current theories say that our orbit will probably shift enough to avoid being actually engulfed by the sun, but it will be close. Earth will probably become a baked planet much like Mercury is today.
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 07:58 AM

Gravity depends on mass alone (since the distance from the centre is constant), and unless the sun is consuming something that it doesn't have... I don't think that its gravity will increase.
    Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 08:02 AM
    So if the sun gradually will get bigger wont it's gravity increase before the heat becomes to intense?
    Actually its gravity becomes weaker, not stronger, as much of its mass is sloughed off. Recall that the gravitational force between two spheirical objects is proportional to the product of the two masses divided by the square of the distance between the centers of the objects. The center of the sun when it's a red giant will still be 93 miillion miles away, so the denominator of this equation is constant. Thus as the mass of the sun is reduced, so too is the force of gravity between earth and sun, even thouhg the surface of the sun as a red giant is much closer. The result is the earth's orbit shifts outward.
    SigmaOnyx Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Dec 23, 2010, 11:45 PM
    Ebaines is dead on... The sun will go red giant, and take out the first 4 planets the gas giants will then burn up, not a nice day in our little neighborhood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Earth-sun relations [ 2 Answers ]

What causes the intensity and duration of solar radiation received at any place to vary throughout the year??

Earth-Sun Relations [ 1 Answers ]

What is the relation between the angle of the noon Sun and the quantity of solar radiation received per square centimeter at the outer edge of the atmosphere

Viewing Earth (sun) in the past through satellites? [ 18 Answers ]

If it is true that the light we are seeing from other galaxies is light that began traveling our direction long long ago, is it possible to see the earth at some distant historical time and place through a satellite? Am I overthinking it, or should the location of the earth (or sun) a million...

The sun lighting the earth [ 1 Answers ]

What present of the earth can be lighted by the sun at any time?

Hot water takes a long time to reach faucets [ 3 Answers ]

On some bad advice I had a new hot water heater installed and have the same problem. 2100sq.ft.house with 2 1/2 baths. Three people in the house. It takes 2 to 3 minutes To get hot water at a faucet or any other outlet. Now I'm told that I need a thermal expansion tank between the main water line...

View more questions Search