Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apie2326 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 10:24 AM
    When your ex goes to your family events
    My brother is getting married out of state. My whole family is travelling to be in attendance. My boyfriend and I are planning on going. The issue is that my brother is good friends with my ex-husband (that is actually how I met my ex). I just found out that my ex is travelling out of state to attend this wedding too. I find this an extremely awkward situation that he will be at a family function when he is no longer part of the family, especially being that he is travelling out of state to attend. I feel bad for putting my boyfriend in this situation and I also worry that some sort of drama will unfold because my ex has never met my boyfriend, but has made it pretty clear that he is very bitter that I started seeing someone so soon after we separated. We have been divorced for a year and separated for 2 years now. I can't not go to my brothers wedding, but I'm not going to tell my brother who to or not to invite. I'm also not going to disinvite my boyfriend! Should I just go and hope for the best?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 10:30 AM

Just go... keep your distance and hope for the best. I've seen many cases where ex's have maintained contact with ex-inlaws they are close to.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2010, 05:38 PM

Yes, you really have no choice but to go and make the best of the situation. Perhaps your brother can mention to his friend that you are coming with your new boyfriend so that he has a heads-up and is not blindsighted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My family won't stop inviting my bitter ex-wife to family events. [ 10 Answers ]

I've been divorced from my ex-wife for seven years. We have an 18 yr old daughter together. She never wanted a divorce, and is bitter about it to this day. She frequently explodes on me over "what I did to her" and about what a horrible father I am(which I am NOT). She has dated very little and...

Current events [ 13 Answers ]

Get with the times!! Aren't we all entitled to this? Meet the families where no one's worked for THREE generations - and they don't care | the Daily Mail

Two family events at nearly the same time [ 3 Answers ]

My nephew is getting married and he has never called, visited written or made an attempt to know me. I am concerned because his wedding and my son's High School graduation will overlap and people will not be around for my son's party. I say that it is proper when choosing a date to consult with...

View more questions Search