Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Homebody12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 06:59 AM
    Burnt red wire to the heating element to hot water heater. (electric).
    Burnt red wire to the heating element. Cover has been off after I replaced the heating element 18 months ago. I did have this problem about two months ago when it appeared that the red and black wire touched each other . There was the burnt smell and melting. I cut off the burnt parts and reconnected and all was fine until now.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 07:12 AM

We need a lot more information or at the very least a couple of pictures from you.

How old is the water heater?

Have any of the heating elements been changed recently?

What is the amperage of the circuit that supplies the water heater?

Normally, a 240 V/20 Amp circuit is sufficient for a water heater/storage tank that is less than 140 gallons. The nameplate amperage on the water heater's metal tag will tell you the base amperage for the tank. However, if the tank is less than 140 gallons, it is considered to be a continuous use device, which means that amperage required for the device is 125% of the nameplate amperage. For example, if the name-pate tell you the heater needs 13 Amps, than the NEC adjustment would be 13 X 1.25 or 16 amps. On a dedicated circuit, which is what is needed for a water heater, a 20 amp circuit would be required.

Is the heater a 120 or 240 water heater?

What is the required amperage of the water heater?

Do you have copper or aluminum wire for the supply conductors?

It is CRITICAL that the circuit breaker on the panel board for this circuit match the requirement of the heater. For example, if the heater requires a 20 amp breaker and you have a 30 amp breaker protecting the circuit you have a fire waiting to happen.

A couple of possible solutions are that there is a short within the heater itself which is causing high current, which in turn starts the melting and burning process.

There could also be a short within the supply cable itself.

Please consider calling a licensed electrician immediately to fix this.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 07:18 AM

Ummm, is there an actual question?

Connecting wires to heating elements can be difficult, and often need special attention, as the heat from the element often will burn the wire at the connection point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you wire an electric hot water heater ? [ 4 Answers ]

How do you wire an electric hot water heater ?

Can I just use one heating element in my water heater from a 110 line [ 1 Answers ]

How can I hook a water heater up to my generator just using 110 can I run an extension cord to just one of the elements for now till I ghet my electris turned on so I can have some warm water

Burnt black wire in an electric baseboard heater [ 1 Answers ]

I went to replace an old baseboard heater. The black wire was black instead of copper colored. Sounds like this is not right. What could it be, and do I have to replace the whole wire inside the wall. Was wondering if this could have been caused by one of the two heater wires (connected...

Electric water heater element kw [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All Please guide me that the element in electric water heater (Kw) is equal to the electric power(Kw) used to heat water. Regards :confused:

Fuse wire cannot be used as a heating element in a heater? [ 1 Answers ]

A fuse wire cannot be used as a heating element in a heater ?

View more questions Search