Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newfiee_chickk Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2010, 01:55 PM
    How do you deal with an unfair landlord?
    I was out by my door having a smoke, and it was warm out but it was raining so I put my laptop just inside the door and left the door open just a little so I could hear my music, my landlord came downstairs and told us off for smoking dope in the house :S we were not even smoking dope, it was a canadian classic cigarette, and we were outside! and they smoke in the house so what would be the difference anyway? And when I tried to tell him that, he looked at me, pointed his finger in my face and said, 'This is my house, and you can consider this your notice, you don't **** with me!'!! I was in shock! I didn't even know what to say! What do I do about that? I can't afford to find a place just like that right now.
    And that's not the first thing he has done like that, his wife came down one day and walked right in our apartment and we don't even know these people, only as our landlords, and started telling us off about using the washer too much, when we moved in the deal was that we could use it nighttime and they had it daytime, but most nights we have to go out to their wet clothes in the washer and dryer and some waiting to go in the washer, and they are all asleep so we have to do theirs before we can put ours through.
    And another thing I don't think is fair, they have the smallest hot water tank you can get and we share it with the 7 people living upstairs.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2010, 04:03 PM

You said you were "out by my door". Does your door open outside the building on inside? Did you lease say anything about no smoking? Is your lease currently in force or are you month to month. Where are you (ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area)?

As to the landlord entering your apartment, did she knock or just walk in? As to the water heater, if its up to local building codes then it not unfair.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 04:05 PM

Hello n:

You're going to have to move, whether this is a good time or not. Who wants to rent from a jerk like that anyway?

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 05:36 PM

So move, some landlords are better than other

Oct 31, 2010, 08:23 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    Good point lol

Oct 31, 2010, 08:34 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    It was outside, we are renting a basement apartment, and we do have our own entrance, and yes she opened the door and walked in

Oct 31, 2010, 08:38 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Oh yeah and we live in grand falls, newfoundland, canada, and its month to month
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2010, 03:40 AM

Since you are month to month, they can terminate the lease at any time with proper notice. I would check with the local housing authority to determine what proper notice is.

Then start looking.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newfiee_chickk View Post
    ... he jus looked at me, pointed his finger in my face and said, 'This is my house, and you can consider this your notice, you don't **** with me!' !!!! ...
    I bet that, even in Newfoundland, that's not adequate notice. If he means to evict you, he's going to have to give you written notice to leave. I take this verbal "notice" to mean what he said literally: that you shouldn't " **** with" your landord, not that you have to get out. In any event, if he is going to evict you he first will have to give you a written notice.

Nov 2, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Land lords..
    OK, so kind of as a continuation from my last question, my land lord came down with a written notice, and it says we have to be out in 14 days, it does not make sense, we rent from month to month and I'm pretty sure the law here in newfoundland sates that he has to give us 3 months. I don't have the money or the resources to be out that fast. What do I do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 03:27 PM

This is the landlord tenant act for Nfld. From EHow.com.

Notices
    # Both the landlord and tenant must give appropriate notice upon ending the tenancy. The amount of time required differs depending on rental type. A weekly rental requires no less than seven days, a month-by-month rental requires a full month, and a lease requires two months notice. The landlord may give a notice to end tenancy if the rent is 15 days late, and the tenant may give it if the landlord fails to uphold the rental contract after sufficient time has been given to address the situation.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 04:09 PM
    This looks to be the actual text of the Newfoundland RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT, 2000:

Notice of termination of rental agreement
    (1) Except where a landlord and tenant agree in writing upon a longer period of notice,
    (b) a landlord shall give the tenant notice as required under subsection (3) that the rental agreement is terminated and the tenant is required to vacate the residential premises.
    (3) The notice required to be given by a landlord under paragraph (1)(b) is
    (a) not less than 4 weeks before the end of a rental period, where the residential premises are rented week to week;
    (b) not less than 3 months before the end of a rental period, where the residential premises are rented from month to month;
    If so, OP is correct and it requires a 3-month notice.

Quote Originally Posted by newfiee_chickk View Post
    ... what do I do?
    Prepare to move out in 3 months. You might want to tell your LL that 2 weeks won't cut it.

Nov 2, 2010, 04:39 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Yeah I think that is the same website I was on to reassure my thoughts on the situation. Makes me feel better to know I'm right :)

Nov 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    But the difference being, our rent is always a day early, my roommate and I have not done anything to deserve this insane behaviour, I am having thoughts about calling the institution.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 06:11 PM

Hi chick, it seems strange to me that there would be such a big difference between one year and month to month, i.e. 3 months notice for month to month, when I think that should be year to year. It just seems out of wack somehow.

Here is the information, phone, address and website to check this landlord/tenant stuff with the proper people

Department of Government Services —
    Consumer & Commercial Affairs Branch
    Trade Practices Division
    Residential Tenancies Section
    Box 8700
    5 Mews Place
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    A1B 4J6
    Toll-free: 877-829-2608
    Tel.: 709-729-2610, 709-729-2608 or 709-729-5829
    Fax: 709-729-6998
    http://www.gs.gov.nl.ca/cca/tp/residential-tenancies/
    See Web site for all office locations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal with bullying, intimidation tactics from a former landlord? [ 11 Answers ]

I lived with 2 other girls in an apt, and we had encountered many issues with our landlord. He was incredibly intimidating and once even came into our apt without notice. He did not repaint the apt for us when we moved in, so we had painted it ourselves. Some of the colours were quite bold - a pink...

Unfair landlord? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. We have lived at this house for two months of a 6 month tenancy agreement. Before we signed the agreement, we asked the landlord about the two fires in the property. One open fire which he said was safe and one gas. We were told that the gas fire was condemed but the open fire worked fine and...

How do I deal with noise from the landlord? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NY and rent a basement in a private house. My landlord lives in the house with his wife and two teenage sons who are constantly blasting music, movies and TV so loud that it is nearly Impossible to hear my own TV, let alone hear myself think. I have repeatedly asked them to lower the...

Unfair landlord demands? [ 3 Answers ]

I am leaving my privately rented house tomorrow. This evening my landlord phoned me to tell me that before I leave I have to have the windows cleaned, the carpets cleaned, and the hedges cut. All in one day, as well as actually moving all my furniture out. I have already completely redecorated the...

View more questions Search