Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sha_angelico Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Can you have Medicare and another plan at the same time?
    I'm in the United States and getting Social Security Disability payments each month. I think I am eligible for Medicare next year, I'll have to look that up. I'm wondering, do you have to enroll in Medicare if you are eligible? Or does it just happen automatically? Could you 'opt out' if you wanted to (although I probably wouldn't)? Also, I have insurance through my husband's job. Can I carry both Medicare and Blue Cross-Blue Shield at the same time? If so, can I choose which one is primary and which is secondary? I'm sorry to bombard you with questions! Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 06:28 PM

You have to enroll in it, it is not automatic

Yes you will want to, next no you will not have the choice which is primary, normally the medicare will be.

What you really need with it will be a supplement but yes you can have two plans, one will not pay till the other does, and then the other will only pay according to its rules toward the unpaid.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 06:58 PM

My experience with Medicare was very frustrating. I had a lot of questions such as yours and I received a lot of different answers from Medicare each time that I called them.

Basically I was finally told that it was in my best interest to sign up for Medicare. (You have a sign up period, I believe that it is within three months of turning 65.)

I too wanted to keep my company insurance however I was told that I ran the risk that if I had a major illness that my insurer may contest as I should have been on Medicare so I singed up. Also if you ever want to collect your social security you have to be signed up for Medicare to receive it. Unless it is for disability.

You sign up for Medicare and then have the option to sign up for 'Part B'. This is for prescriptions basically. Part B will cost you extra monies based upon your income if you are still working and it can be very expensive.

Then I signed up with a commercial insurance company for my 'supplemental insurance'. To my understanding this is for general doctors' expense.

Between Part B and this supplemental insurance I am now paying over $1,977.00 a quarter plus a 20% co-pay every time I use it. Plus it pay only 80% and I have to also pay the final 20% on any procedure.

Now the part that you pay may or may not be as high as I stated it is based upon your present income.

It can be very confusing and you have to personally 'dig' for information.

Initially I was quoted one quarterly price for Part B. The next quarter they more than doubled that figure because they said that they miscalculated and I had to instantly make up the difference of over $1,800.00.

I wish you luck in muddling through all this.

Stringer
    rjsstew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
    Part B is not medications. It is for hospital etc. and if you don't sign up when you are supposed to you will be penalized 10% per year you didn't have it. I got stuck with a 13 year penalty which is permanent because medicare misinformed me. I now pay over 900 a month for insurance and still have deductibles, meds, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plan to move oversea, best plan of attack? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 33 and plan to move to Hong Kong next March, most likely permanently. I have about $40K in Roth and $170K in 401K, live in MA, also own an apartment that I want to sell but that can wait, valued at about $200K. What's the best plan to withdraw these fund with the least amount of penalty?...

I am now living in Switzerland and have an old 401K plan from a time when I worked th [ 1 Answers ]

I am now living in Switerland and have an old 401k plan from the time I was working in the USA under an L2 Visa. I am a UK citercen and now for tax purposes a Swiss resident. I have completed a W 8 BEN form and this is lodged with my 401Kplan supplier. I would like now to transfer or roll...

View more questions Search