Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ashleybebo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Is this accident my fault?
    OK so I was making a left hand turn and I was suppose to yeld but I didn't see this car and she cliped my back bumper is it still my falt if it was that back of the car oo and it was ice outside so she couldn't stop and that's why she hit me. :confused: :(
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jan 3, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Yes I believe that is still your fault.

Here is a similar and recent post;
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ion-51905.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2007, 09:41 PM
    First you have two "at faults" first is the criminal issue if the officer gave you a ticket, and the second will be the civil where the insurance companies settle or someone gets sued in court.

I can't speak for other states, but the officers opinion will have a lot to do with the criminal part, if he believes the ice was a major factor in the wreck, he can write it up that way and from his point of view it was caused by the weather. Or the officer can decide the weather was not an issue, and you did not yield the right of way or you did an imporper turn.
    ( or some other law , each state has its own laws as to exact names of them(

In GA where I was a officer, we would have wrote you up as at fault and you would have gotten a ticket normally. But we would have written you up at fault in the accident report even if we did not issue a ticket.

It is because under the law there it is your responsibility to look and not turn if you can not clear in time, and it is your responsibility to judge weather, and conditions. This may not be the case everywhere.

If you have insurance, turn it over to them and let them handle everything, if you do have to go to a civil trial, you can for civil liablity try to prove the other car speeding, the ice anything to show you were not 100 percent at fault, since in civil damagaes they can show someone a percent at fault.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Jan 9, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Usually the guy making the left will be found with a greater portion of liability.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 07:36 PM
    If you were making a left turn, then it's your fault. You failed to yield.
    moix4 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 09:20 PM
    If you were making a left turn, then yes you are required to yield to the oncoming traffic. However, if you were hit in the rear bumper, then you had practically completed your turn & there could be some negligence considered against the other driver.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleybebo
    OK so i was making a left hand turn and i was suppose to yeld but i didnt see this car and she cliped my back bumper is it still my falt if it was that bakc of the car oo and it was ice outside so she couldnt stop and thats why she hit me. :confused: :(

I think the words "I didn't see this car" sum up the accident - and it sounds like she did everything she could to avoid you.

I'd say you're at fault but it also depends on what State you are in.
    rafie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2012, 05:59 AM
    I was going down a straight road as I came closer to the traffic light about 6 to 10 metres a silver toyota turned left form the oncoming traffic I tapped the brak to slow down as I was just about to cross over the intersection another car from the on cming traffic hit me in the front to my knowledge its was my right off way who's fault is it
    rafie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2012, 06:04 AM
    If I'm going straight & about to cross over a traffic light & the light turns amber & another car turns from the on coming traffic & bumps me in front of my car who's fault is it
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rafie View Post
    i was going down a straight road as i came closer to the traffic light about 6 to 10 metres a silver toyota turned left form the oncoming traffic i tapped the brak to slow down as i was just about to cross over the intersection another car from the on cming traffic hit me in the front to my knowledge its was my right off way who's fault is it

I'm a liability investigator, and I'm having difficulty understanding this.

You are going straight, approaching an intersection which is controlled by a traffic light.

As you approached the intersection a car coming in the opposite direction made a legal left-hand turn in front of you.

You slowed down, the light was amber, you went into the intersection and got struck.

A second car makes a left-hand turn and strikes the front of your car? If the front of your car is damaged, you're the one who did the "striking," not the other car.

Was the light amber when you entered the intersection?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 4, 2012, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rafie View Post
    i was going down a straight road as i came closer to the traffic light about 6 to 10 metres a silver toyota turned left form the oncoming traffic i tapped the brak to slow down as i was just about to cross over the intersection another car from the on cming traffic hit me in the front to my knowledge its was my right off way who's fault is it
    It appears to me that the driver of the Toyota clearly failed to yield and so it would be his/her fault.

As you use metric measurements, would it be accurate to assume you are not in the U.S.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2012, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    It appears to me that the driver of the Toyota clearly failed to yield and so it would be his/her fault.

As you use metric measurements, would it be accurate to assume you are not in the U.S.?

Not if he didn't own the intersection at the time.

We don't know the color of his light. We don't know if the "other" car had a turn arrow OR the color of the light on that side.

I'm curious to know damage on both cars.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident [ 2 Answers ]

I got in a minor accident and the police weren't called. After a very little bit, I realized what a huge mistake that was. I accidentally rear ended someone and the damage was very minor. We exchanged information. What liabilities did I open myself up to? Thanks for the help.

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident. The other driver was at fault, the problem is my insurance had ended in September and I didn't know it. I am worried that the insurance company of the other driver won't give me a fair settlement. My car was totaled. What can I do if they try to short me on a...

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

:( I was in a auto accident 6 months ago. I was hit by a drunk driver on a motorcycle. He ran a stop sign, and was driving on a suspended licence. I was injured (fractured ankle and whiplash). My Land Rover was repaired, (although it cost over $23,000) is there a way to figure out how much I...

Accident with out insurance on my name [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was driving my mechanics vehicle as my car was in repair with him. I have a valid license and my mechanic's vehicle which I am driving is also insured but It does not have insurance on my name . I have insurance on my own car. I just hit a car though I slammed the brake . It was raining...

Workplace accident [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a law that an accident report must be filled out when someone falls at work? Three people have fallen in my workplace now in the last 5 months because of water or soup on floor (I work in a restaurant). The one girl hit her head pretty hard but employer says he does not make out accident...

View more questions Search