Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eleners Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2004, 11:44 PM
    Not able to burn data to CD on XP
    Anyone who can help:

I've wracked my brain and system to figure out why I am able to copy music CD's but cannot drag and drop data files to my CD burner. In the past it worked fine and lately it just hasn't been working.

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks.
    E ;)
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 27, 2004, 05:33 PM
    Please post the exact error message.

What program are you using to burn music CDs?

Are you recording directrly to a CD-RW via UDF, or are you using winxp's "drag files you want to burn to this folder and then click "record" to burn it?"

~psi42

Apr 27, 2004, 05:48 PM
    Re: Not able to burn data to CD on XP
    Hi psi42,
    Thanks for checking in. I'm using the winXP's drag files you want to burn to this folder and then click "record" to burn it?"
    When I try to burn them it continually gives me an error message saying it cannot burn to cd. Yet it can burn music cd's from sony's sonic stage or windows media player. Do you think I should just go and buy new cd software? I used to be able to write date to my cd drive.

Thanks.
    Eleni

Apr 27, 2004, 07:56 PM
    Well, it's a software problem for sure.

Probably what has happened is that winxp's little "integrated" CD-burning app has gone and bought the farm.

You can either
    * Try to fix the configuration
    * Get better software

If you want, we can try to work through fixing the config.
    Better software of course would be an overall improvement.

I use cdrecord from:
    http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/.../cdrecord.html

I have never used the windows version, so I don't know how hard it is to set up.

If you don't like burning from the commandline, you'll want a frontend. I found this in a quick search -- I have not tried it:

http://demosten.com/cdrfe/

You could always go for a "commercial" solution, but that's of course another $30...

~psi42

Apr 27, 2004, 11:24 PM
    Hey psi42,

Thanks so much for your response. It's definitely bought the farm, but I would at least like to know where the heck to find this integrated app. I tried looking for it with no luck. I guess I'm just curious to see if it can be fixed. Otherwise I will try the ones you suggested. If it is a software problem the hardware should be okay if I use a better program right?

Not to bombard you or anything, but lately I am getting so many runtime errors on XP. Have you heard of anything strange going around, or could it be my computer has bought the farm too?

Eleni ;)

May 1, 2004, 04:37 PM
    Sorry for not responding for so long. Somebody filled up the "recent posts" page with lots of identical cross-posts :rolleyes:.

Hey psi42,

Thanks so much for your response. It's definitely bought the farm, but I would at least like to know where the heck to find this integrated app. I tried looking for it with no luck. I guess I'm just curious to see if it can be fixed. Otherwise I will try the ones you suggested. If it is a software problem the hardware should be okay if I use a better program right?
    I haven't used XP for a while, but I believe the settings for it can be changed by right-clicking the burner device in "my computer," going to "properties," and selecting the "recording" tab (or something similar).

I would suggest you try the cdrtools frontend. Cdrecord alone is a CLI app, so you'll probably get going faster and with a lot less time expense by using the frontend. :)

]
    Not to bombard you or anything, but lately I am getting so many runtime errors on XP. Have you heard of anything strange going around, or could it be my computer has bought the farm too?
    Well, in my opinion, there is always something "strange going around" with regard to XP. I don't want to rant too much, but I rather expect odd behavior from windows. :D

I would suggest you try:

Doing a Google search for the exact text of the error message (but not for any random numbers that occur afterward) -- meaning search for "EXPLORER.EXE caused an invalid page fault in evilmodule.dll, etc. That will often turn something up.

If not, try posting the message here. Maybe someone else has seen it.

If the messages are always different, then try searching for a few. If they appear to occur completely randomly, you may have a hardware problem, but that's unlikely.

Make sure to try all of the following:

* Run a spyware scanner. Oftentimes, these errors often occur because of poorly-coded spyware/adware that probably got installed by accident or via a malicious method. :) I used to use Ad-Aware, check that one out. Be sure to get it from the official site.

* Run an antivirus scanner...
    * On that note, make sure you have a firewall running...

* Run scandisk and defrag, and scanreg from a bootdisk

Good luck... :)
    ~psi42

May 3, 2004, 09:29 AM
    Hi Psi42,
    Thanks so much for helping out. I will definitely take your advice. Is there a way to write directly to you through this message board?

Eleni ;D

May 3, 2004, 05:21 PM
    Hi Psi42,
    Thanks so much for helping out. I will definitely take your advice. Is there a way to write directly to you through this message board?

Eleni ;D
    Yes. You can click my username and then click "send this member a private message."
    JeuxDesprit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2004, 12:39 PM
    I had the same problem. To fix it, I downloaded the updated driver at http://panasonic.co.jp/mke/support/d...9571drvxp.html (it also works for the UJ-811).

In addition, I had to switch the drive from DVD-RAM writing mode (default) to CD/DVD writing mode, as follows:

Click on My computer from the Start Menu or the desktop to open it.
    Under the "Devices with removable storage" section, right click on the "DVD-RAM Drive".
    On the pop-up menu, select Properties.
    Select the Recording tab.
    On the Recording tab, either put a check mark in "Enable CD recording on this drive". (Enable for CD/DVD disable for DVD-RAM.)
    Click on OK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

Burn data file... [ 2 Answers ]

I want to back my files and I want to burn it to DVD disc... But the problem is, I don't have DVD writer... is the any software that emulates black dvd disc to burn my file using CD writer... :confused:

How can I burn this.. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a file in my hard disk and its an intaller Adobe CS about 1.04 GB... my problem is I want to save it into disk, I don't have a DVD writter so I have to separate the file using 700 MB CDs but I don't know what files should be in the 1st cd and what files in the 2nd one for the installer to...

Can't burn cds but DVDS burn fine [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hi there I have looked through the relevant forum pages and couldn't find the answer so here goes.I have a Sony DVD RW DW -D22A (cd rom drive)if I want to burn any DVD fine no problems but a different matter for cdrs.If I put a blank cdr into the drive and then try to burn all that...

CD Burn Help [ 1 Answers ]

I have been having a problem burning CD's using napster, I have used it before and it worked fine I don't know what has changed. I start the burn and I get a error message: An error has occurred while burning. A possible cause for this could be incompatiable media or too high a burning speed.Please...

View more questions Search