Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa4168 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 01:48 PM
    I am being sued by credit card companies. I live in Texas
    I know they can not garnish my wages, but they can put a judgement against me. And I will not be able to collect any settlements or have a checking account with out them getting it. I just want to know how long would the judgement stay on my record, and how long are they able to collect from any settlements? We got with a lawyer back in 07 to settle over 80,000.00 in credit card debt. They took 14000.00 from me in payments before a judge shut them down for not settling anyone's accounts. After the case was won I only received 2000.00 of that back. That was when we were still making some money. Needless to say for the last year and half there has not been any work and he just went to work for a company not even making a fourth of what he made. With all major bills being priority such as house truck insurance utilities etc.. we barely survive there isn't any money left over for settlements at this time. I did settle some very small ones. But the major ones are all of a sudden going after us with both barrells. I just got suponied for court for one and I do not no what to expect.Can someone tell me?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 29, 2010, 02:12 PM

This is the information on the statute of limitations for debt in Texas:

The Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code provides a 4-year limitations period for types of debt. The SoL begins after the day the cause of action accrues, (Section 16.004 (a) (3)).

So you could be just on the tail end of getting out of all of this debt, but they obviously know that so pulled out all the stops to try and get their money.

They have to have a judgment against you in order to garnish wages. It makes no difference to them that you can't pay; they just want their money no matter what.

If you have any money coming in that is on automatic deposit, change all that and have it sent to a PO Box or to you home, so it doesn't appear in your bank account. What isn't there, they can access.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've been sued in Texas over credit card debt what do I do [ 2 Answers ]

When does the statute of limitations run in Texas and in their petition do they not need to provide an accounting or statement. I'm being sued by collection agency in county court - what do I need to do?

What will happen if I am sued by a credit card company and the law in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

What will happen if I am sued by a credit card company and the law in Texas

Being Sued in Texas for a past credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons, to appear in my county court because I am being sued by a credit card company for a past debt that was charged off. I have no means to pay a lawyer, and wonder if anyone can help. Can I show up to the court by myself? How do I plead? What is the precoces and what do I...

View more questions Search