Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    claudia10202 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 06:30 AM
    If I roll a dice 100 times how many times I should expect 3?
    I
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 29, 2010, 06:42 AM

The expected number of times you would roll a 3 in 100 rolls is equal to the probability of rolling a 3 on one roll times 100. So - do you know the probability of rolling a 3? Hint: there are 6 sides on a die, and there is one 3.

BTW- when you do the math you'll find that you get a non-integer answer. Which means if you run this experiment you can never actually get the expected value. So despite its name you can't "expect" to get the "expected value." What you can expect is that if you do this experiment over many trials 1/2 the time you should get less than the expected value and 1/2 the time you'll get more than the expected value.
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Oct 29, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    What you can expect is that if you do this experiment over many trials 1/2 the time you should get less than the expected value and 1/2 the time you'll get more than the expected value.
    Strictly speaking, not exactly so. This is a discrete outcome experiment, and in general, the most probable outcome is not the same as the average outcome after (infinitely) many experiments. 100/6 = 16.(6), i.e. closer to 17 than to 16. No matter how many times one tries this experiment, the probability of getting 16 threes will always be slightly lower then the probability of getting 17 threes and so on. I guess the problem is really confusing: one never gets (or expects) in this single experiment anything but some whole number of threes. I would say the answer is: the number of threes to expect most is 16 or 17, but one can expect anything from 0 to 100.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My furnace fault code light flashes three times the pause and flashes three times aga [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace fault code light flashes three times the pause and flashes three times again and repeats. What is wrong?

1997 subaru legacy gt automatic idles high at times and low at times. [ 1 Answers ]

1997 legacy gt will idle high and take off like a rocket and at times idle low and be very sluggish taking off. Any suggestions?

3 times the times the sum of k and negative 1 equals.13.5.what is the value of k. [ 1 Answers ]

3 times the sum of k the and negative 1 equals 13.5.what is the value of k.

I had sex 4 times after first 1,2and 4 times I was bleeding [ 3 Answers ]

I had sex 4 times... after first 1,2and 4 times I was bleeding... but after 3rd I was not... then I checked... result is positive... 3rd sex was held on 25 march and on 27 march was my periods... and my boyfriend also used condom... on 11 may I took unwanted kit tablets... I'm feeling lots of...

View more questions Search