Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    finseth Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 04:07 PM
    High Net Worth and 401K Savings
    If I have a net worth of seven figures (excluding IRAs, Home Ownership and 401K) does it still make sense to keep stashing away in the 401K?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 11:28 AM
    In my opinion, yes, it does make sense.

Currently, your net worth is NOT taxed. What is taxed is your annual income. I am assuming that you still get a substantial amountof taxable annual income, either from salary/wages, stock sales, interest earned and other sources.

By putting money away into your 401K, you reduce the tax on that annual income. You will pay the tax when you begin to take distributions from the 401K, but it is likely that your income in those years will not be as high, so the tax burden will be substantially less than the current top rate of 35%.

The assumption of a lower tax bracket in your retirement years is not guaranteed, but it is valid most of the time. If you have the situation where your annual income is still substantial in your retirement years, you can rolled the money from the 401K into a rollover IRA, then contribute to charity directly from the IRA without paying taxes on the proceeds.

Regardless, the historical practice of deferring taxes whenever possible to avoid paying at a currently high marginal tax rate remains the norm in the financial planning field.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Savings deposit [ 3 Answers ]

You deposited $1,000 in a savings account that pays 8 percent interest, compounded quarterly, planning to use it to finish your last year in college. Eighteen months later, you decide to go to the Rocky Mountains to become a ski instructor rather than continue in school, so you close out your...

Net sales, cost of goods, net profit [ 2 Answers ]

Les Fleurs, a boutique in Paris, France, had the following accounts in its accounting records at December 31, 20X2 (amounts in Euros, denoted as "E") Purchases………………... E250,000 Freight In……………… E8,000 Sales discounts…………. 4,000 Purchase returns…….. 7,000 Inventory Sales…………………. ...

How Much Savings for Retirement [ 4 Answers ]

A friend is planning on retiring by 50. She asked me how much money she should have in her retirement account in order to retirement. I gave her two scenarios: (1) with a retirement pension and (2) with no pension. So, if she has a pension, I told her she needed enough in her retirement...

Savings? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and hope to get some replies. I'm thinking of buying a co-op in NY city. I make about 1000 a week and pay 1000 a mo. In rent, my share, Anyway, what would the cost savings be if any should I buy this apt. The mortgage would be about 1600 a mo. Plus 1000 for fees and taxes...

Medical Savings Accounts [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if MSA's are worth considering. I am self employed with a wife and 2 children living in NYC. Thanks

View more questions Search