Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ebarcelona Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 07:40 PM
    How do you evict a co-owner?
    My husband is a co-signator on a home loan and the other person on the loan is always late with his payments. Now he entered into a repayment plan that he can no longer afford without my husbands consent. Can we evict him from the home since he is jeoprodizing my husbands creit by missing payment or being late all the time. At this point we can't trust him to make payments and were scared of forecloser.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 07:46 PM

Personally your husband would be better off to buy the co-owner out.

If the other co-owner defaults, your husband is going to get stuck holding the bag, so to speak, anyway.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 08:03 PM

You can not evict the owner of a property, even a co-owner. The bank wants its money and doesn't care if the two guys are paying equal shares, just wants the money. If the guy is not paying his half then your husband steps up or lets it go to foreclosure. Do they have a written agreement or partnership? Apparently the bank knew up front this guy was not a safe bet, thus the co-signer.
    Ebarcelona Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 08:20 PM
    The guy basically told my husband that he cannot pay but refuses to forfeit his rights to the house and he told my husband that if we don't want the house to go into forecloser than we have to pay. He won't and he plans on staying in the house no matter what.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2010, 04:09 AM

You said your husband is a co-signator, but you didn't say who is on the deed. If both are on the deed, then he can't be evicted. If your husband is not on the deed, then he is responsible for the loan without having any interest in the property.

In either case, if the co-borrower defaults on the loan then your husband has to sue him. He may be able to force him into a buyout where your husband takes full ownership and can then evict him.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 11:54 AM

If both parties names are on the deed he would file for a partition, the property would be put up for sale and he could acquire rights that way. If both names aren't on the deed as mentioned above... there isn't a lot of options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to evict the previous owner after purchasing [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a home in houston, Title gave me legal deed and possession and key based on contract. Old owner who sold home and got paid asked me 7 days to move out, I gave him 7 days oraly, but after 15 days passed he is still there and he is asking another 30 days. I need my home to live as soon as...

Can a owner evict a disabled Sec 8 tenant without cause? [ 4 Answers ]

I am disabled on Section 8, and the owner has become non-coorperative. Can I be evicted without cause? The owner won't make needed repairs to the apartment. Has consistently complained that HUD will not increase payments, and that I have to go.

How do I evict my boyfriend from my house (I am the owner). [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend lives here with his 2 children, ages 5 and 4, and I have broken up with him and I want him to move out. The house is in my name and there is no lease. I live in Mass.

Can new owner evict me without an eviction notice? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Oregon. The property I live on was just sold and the new owner wants me out. He hasn't asked for rent, just wants me to leave. I've heard he can give me 24 hours to get out. My question is can he do that, or does he need to give me 30 days and an eviction notice, or what? Please help!

How to evict a roommate with no lease and I'm the owner? [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. I let two of my girlfriends move into my house--neither one signed a lease or anything. I couldn't take all the people and partying all the time and asked them to leave after only 1 1/2 months. One of them is staying elsewhere but her stuff is still here, the other still comes and...

View more questions Search