Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fsher21 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
    Can't Find/Light Coleman Direct Vent Forced Air Furnace Pilot Light
    I see what I think is the pilot light in my furnace, with the pilot light gas line on the bottom, and the thermocouple above it. The lines feed into a copper looking box, but I can not see if the back is open or if the pilot light is inside of this box. I can not stand this cold, and I have spent 3 hours and a trip to the store to buy a longer lighter with no success.

If anyone knows what I may be doing wrong, I have followed the directions on furnace instructing how to relight it, but the tiny image does me no good.

I can not smell any gas even if the pilot light is switched to "on" or "pilot", we had a nasty wind storm yesterday in which my power shut off 5+ times in quick succession, if that helps at all.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2010, 07:34 PM

Put the knob to pilot press down and listen for gas. You have to get the lighter in just the right spot sometimes on coleman units.

Oct 28, 2010, 07:37 PM
    Comment on Joshdta's post
    I see the general area where I should be lighting it, but I can't tell if it is the front where the lines go in, or the back of the inch long piece I want to light. Do you have any suggestions to where I should put the flame?

Oct 28, 2010, 07:44 PM
    I hear no gas flow at all, and I have about cooked every inch of that box inside and out with a lighter. I know this has to be related to the wind storm we experienced the last 2 days, right?
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2010, 07:48 PM

Yes the wind probably blew out the pilot, but inless there is anouther problem it should light. Needs to be on the back side of the t-couple

Oct 28, 2010, 07:59 PM
    I have held a flame everywhere I could think of while holding that button down. I can not even catch a glimpse of flame other than my own, let alone smell/hear gas flowing. I will get some help tomorrow, time to find a lot of blankets... lol
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2010, 08:16 PM

Are you sure you have gas? Anything else in the house gas?

Oct 29, 2010, 02:38 PM
    My gas stove works, thought to check that after you said I should hear gas flowing when I push the button.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2010, 02:48 PM
    If indeed you see the trermocouple, the flame from the pilot will impinge on it. Make sure the gas is on, set the gas control valve to pilot and hold it down. After being off for the summer, it may take up to a minute for all the air to purge and gas to fill the pilot tube. Put the lighter on the thermocouple and slowly move it around. If it doesn't light, the gas valve could be bad, or the pilot orifice plugged-it's pretty small. Good luck and hope you don't need too many blankets! Brian

Oct 29, 2010, 04:10 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    My dad got it to light, problem solved. He had long matches that burned a lot better than my paper at the end of a wire, so it was able to light the pilot. Thanks for all the help!!
    martymannion Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2010, 09:29 AM
    The flame has to be directly on the thermocouple and it is a fairly small flame. When you hold the lighter in that area with the pilot button down, does the lighter flame appear to blow around? If so, you are in the right area, you have air in the lines and need to let it purge more. Keep Looking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find where to light the pilot on an old Coleman [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 yr old Coleman 7956 furnace, 5600 BTU. It has a manually lighted pilot light. Instructions are to turn the pilot switch to pilot and once the pilot is lite, hold it down for 60 seconds and it should stay on. There is a strong spring loaded window-door that reads HOT on it. I must...

No heat from a Coleman Direct vent forced air furnace Model #7680a [ 2 Answers ]

I am having promblems with getting the heat from an older Coleman Direct vent forced air furnace Model #7680a that's installed in a mobile home. The thermostat was replaced The fan comes on. The pilot feed that goes into the side but isn't attached. Do u have any specs on this model?

Coleman furnace pilot light [ 1 Answers ]

My coleman gas furnace pilot will not stay lit.

Coleman Furnace Pilot Light Keeps Burning out [ 12 Answers ]

The Pilot light on my Evcon furnace keeps blowing out. I have installed a roof jack extension, but that didn't seem to help. I just had the lower limit switch replace also. Any Ideas?

Pilot Light Forced Air Gas Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

How do I light it? I haven't had to do it in a couple years, and I have forgotten how. The knob has off, pilot, and on. I believe I turn it to pilot hold it it until light, and then turn to on. Is this correct? About how long should this take? Yesterday it was on, and working fine. I guess...

View more questions Search