Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haloistic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 03:39 PM
    How to get back security deposit after foreclosure? (Missouri)
    My apartment that I am renting went into foreclosure a couple of months ago. The bank that took over the property finally sold to an investor this month. I received a letter from a property management company that says they are going to manage the property for the new owner. In the letter it says that the security deposit paid to the original owners was not transferred to the new owners and will not be held by the management company. I would like to know how to go about getting my deposit back. I always thought that the new owner took over the responsibility of the deposit regardless of whether it transferred over. However, the letter seems to disagree with this. I'm pretty sure it will be impossible to find the original owners since I believe they fled the country. Thanks for reading.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2010, 03:44 PM

You thought wrong. You have to sue the former owner. Good luck with that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 05:30 PM

If the property actually "sold" but in case of the foreclosure the property was taken away from the previous owner.

You will have to sue the previous owner for any deposit money.
    The new owner may even require a new deposit if they so desire.

And of course odds are the owners have no money since they let the property foreclose. But you may try

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord hasn't given security deposit back after foreclosure [ 11 Answers ]

We had been renting a house for 5 months here in South Carolina that went into foreclosure. When we first moved in we paid a $500 security deposit. The landlord has never done any repairs of any kind to the house since we have lived here. In fact the weekend before the house was foreclosed I called...

Security deposit? Paying rent to finance company after foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I've been paying rent to the finance company after they foreclosed on the landlord, do they inherit the obligation of returning my security deposit instead of the landlord? I'm moving and need to know if I should pay my last months rent, or not? Thanks.

Return of Security Deposit from Landlord in Foreclosure [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We find ourselves in an unusual predicament regarding the lack of return of our security deposit and are in need of some advice/recommendations... We signed a one year lease on a new construction home and gave the required security deposit. We leased through a property management/real...

How To Get Security Deposit Back! [ 18 Answers ]

Hello all, My wife and I started renting an apartment in Virginia back in August on a month to month basis. We never had a check list from the landlord to assess the condition of the apartment. Among other things, the carpet was in bad shape and it also smelled bad. Before we moved in, the...

View more questions Search