Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Familytracer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Birth Certificate Problem for Family Tree
    Hey everyone!

I recently started to do a Family Tree and I barely began when I already ran in to a problem.

I ordered my Grandfather's birth certificate (who is now deceased) and I received a call from the records department and they said there was a problem with it. ALL of the information that I gave was correct EXCEPT for the name.

I asked if it was a slight difference or if it was dramatic because there are at least 6 different spellings for the name. She said FIRST AND LAST name are VERY different.

She wouldn't tell me the name over the phone but she is still sending me the document.

Why would it have been different? Wouldn't there be a record of a name change or whatnot?

Needless to say, it's caused a bit of ruckus already! LOL!

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Please believe me years ago a lot of things were just done, including adoptions, someone's niece needed a place to stay, they just moved her in.

Best I can tell my great grandfather just changed the spelling of our last name when his son was born, His birth certiicate has a different spelling of the last name than his dad. Guess they did things like that.

And add to it back before 1930 a lot of births were at home and birth certifcates were not done as they are today.

It is possible he just started using a new name, similar maybe, for some reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

As an adult is there any way to get your parents names off your birth certificate? Can that area of the birth certificate be blank?

Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I just received an updated copy of my husband's birth certificate, he will be retiring soon and needs to show proof of his birth date. On the certificate it shows his mother as being the lady who adopted him when he was in his 40's. (for legal purposes, estate and other) Is this done as a...

Adoptiin birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

If a stepfather adopts his step children they are issued with an adoption birth certificate with their new surname name on can they now use that one instead of their original birth certificate ?

Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I gave birth to my child but it wasn't my ex husband. We were separated for a while but we didn't get a divorce yet. In child birth certificate, there is no name on the father status because I was still married. Hospital left it blank because I was still married. Now that I'm divorce. I want the...

View more questions Search