Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeunknown Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Oct 28, 2010, 11:49 AM
    What causes a mirrior to reflect?
    What element, light spectrum etc. causes a mirror to reflect the image in front of it? And what causes it to reflect backwards?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 11:59 AM

This article should explain reflection and lateral inversion:

Light - Reflection
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 02:08 PM

Actually mirrors don't reflect backwards. It may seem like it does, because you're used to looking at people facing you with their left on your right, so the fact that your image in the mirror has its right on your right makes it seem like the image is of a person facing you who has been reversed left and right. But actually what a mirror does is transform your image front-to-back. This front to back transformation is topologically equivalent to rotation about the vertical axis and then transposing left-for-right. But consider this: it's also equivalent to rotating about the horizontal axis (that is, standing on your head), and then swapping up-for-down. So next time someone says that mirrors reverse the image left-to-right you can tell them that it actually reverses it up-to-down. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know I am receiving my correct pay if my stub does not reflect my rate or ho [ 3 Answers ]

I just got my first paycheck from a new career. The hours and payrate are not reflected on the pay stub. I am confused on how to figure out if I was paid correctly using the total hours I have tracked and the rate of pay I was told? I already see that the small company has quite a few issues and...

Which of the following best describes the sequence in which guidelines reflect [ 1 Answers ]

Which of the following best describes the sequence in which guidelines reflect increasingly higher standards of conduct on the job ( higher as you proceed from left to right) A.the law-ethics-professional courtesy B.the law-professional courtesy-ethics C.professional courtesy-the law-ethics...

Lights reflect like ribbons while driving at night [ 2 Answers ]

I have a real problem driving at night. All ligts appear to reflect to my headlights and look like several ribbons. Depending on the number of oncoming vehicles and lamp lights, there could be dozens of streaming light ribbons. Last night there was road construction and police lights - a regular...

View more questions Search