Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksmcmil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 04:39 AM
    Honda Harmony 1011 Hydrostatic Transmission
    Trying to get a friend's Honda Harmony 1011 transmission to work. Only have access to PDF manual on-line, no details therein of the hydrostatic transmission.

Problem is: Will not go backwards when put in reverse setting, only moves slowly in forward gear 3, slightly faster in transport.

Might that be due to low fluid level? Does it take special transmission fluid or will typical auto automatic transmission fluid work?

Where & how can I check the fluid level... and access the fill cap?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Kent
    amowl Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Oct 28, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Hydro stat transmissions on typical riding lawnmowers are a pain. If you haven't watched someone work on one a few times I would suggest you have someone do it... or take it to a mower shop and get them to diagnose it for free then watch what they did and try to fix it yourself.. after educating yourself with the basics... YouTube and Google videos will give you the basics of what to do.I would suggest keeping a log of the order the parts came off in and give yourself some doodles of where about it was... thats how I've always done it and I have taught myself how to make racing mowers in my shed... 85mph+ without buying parts
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2010, 06:51 PM

1011 is a rear engine rider.
    There is a black cap I believe on the left side top of the hydro . It takes honda hydro fluid ,but if there's no sign of leaking ,it should be good.
    Luck
    CARUSO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2011, 09:36 AM
    I own the identical Honda mower and have the Shop and Parts manual for it too. There is a linkage adjustment described in the Shop manual that I've performed to remedy the issue you've described, though it may be difficult to understand w/o viewing the illustrations. Following, is the entire linkage adjustment text:

"For correct transaxle control operation, the return rod from the brake pedal, change rod from the transaxle and lever position in the body must be adjusted in the following sequence with the engine and transaxle at normal operating temperature:

1. Raise and support the mower with the rear wheels clear of the ground.
    2. Loosen the two bolts holding the change lever to the change arm.
    3. Depress the brake pedal so that the pins on the return arm contact the change arm
    4. Adjust the turnbuckle so that there is 2-5mm clearance at the pedal.
    5. Without moving the position of the change arm, tighten the two bolts so that the change lever is in the neutral detent of the body.
    6. Remove the brake arm. Reinstall the nut and washer to retain the two pins.
    7. Set the parking brake and start the engine. Put the throttle in SLOW position.
    8. Loosen the lock nuts on the change rod turnbuckle and rotate the turnbuckle in one direction until the wheels start to rotate.
    9. Rotate the turnbuckle in the opposite direction and count the number of turns until the wheels rotate in the opposite direction.
    10. Rotate the turnbuckle in the original direction half the number of turns you counted.
    11. Tighten the two lock nuts. Shut off the engine.
    12. Install the brake arm with its washer, nut and locknut. Adjust the brake freeplay.
    13. Lower the mower to the ground and start the engine. Release the parking brake. The mower should not start to move until the change lever is moved out of the neutral detent and movement should begin with about the same lever movement in forward and reverse. Readjust the change rod turnbuckle if the lever movement is not the same."

It is also VERY possible that you only have to perform the following 3 steps:

1. Remove the locknut and bolt holding the transaxle control arm in position.
    2. Loosen the nuts on the change rod turnbuckle and rotate (shortening the control arm's overall length accelerates the mower's reverse movement, lengthening it accelerates forward movement).
    3. Reinstall the locknut and bolt that holds the transaxle control arm in position to test the mower's forward/reverse acceleration and tighten the nuts on both sides of the turnbuckle when acceleration in both directions is optimal.
    NOTE: Be careful not to apply excessive torque when tightening the locknut to the bolt that holds the transaxle control arm in position (the proper torque is 16±1.5 ft-lb).

Regarding adjusting the Hydrostatic Oil level...

"Check the oil level by removing the oil breather on the front of the transaxle. The oil should be within 1-3/4 to 2 inches from the top (outside) of the housing. Service with SAE 20W-50 oil meeting API service SG/CD."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda harmony 1011 rider [ 3 Answers ]

Hey Guys! I need instructions and a diagram of how to replace the blade drive belt on a Honda Harmony 1011 Rider. I can't seem to pull it up. Hey! You tell me how I can change out the belt and I'll tell you how to make that lazy toilet flush better. Deal? Cheers, Tom

Honda Harmony 1011 Transmission problems. [ 11 Answers ]

Does a Honda Harmony 1011 hydro trans have any place to put in transmission oil? Does it need any type of service? Had the mower just stop on me and grind. If it does what type would it need? Thanks in advance

Honda Harmony 1011 Clutch or Transmission [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Honda Harmony 1011 that recently just stopped moving but the engine is still running. The drive belt and blade belt are fine. The brakes stopped working about a month before that then tt started making a noise and just stopped. I was told that it was probably something with the clutch...

Replacing Transmission Drive Beli On A Honda Harmony 1011 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Honda Harmony 1011 riding mower. I need instructions on how to drop the transmission and change out the drive belt. If yo know where I can pick up a service manual on the net that would be great. Thanks guys, Tom

Honda harmony 1011 [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have two issues on my Harmony 1011. First problem, it has been a while getting a lot of black smoke came out when operating. I tried 92 rated gas, changed the engine oil and spark plug but it didn't help. The spark plug look burn very dark and black deposit on it after just 2 times of mowing....

View more questions Search