Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanyaB2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2010, 04:17 PM
    School councelor forces my son to wear glasses
    Hello,
    My son is slightly nearsighted. When they checked him in middle school they started telling him to wear glasses. His doctor told him that he doesn't need glasses for regular things he is doing , only if he can't see something on a blackboard in school.
    He is sitting on every lesson such that he can see everything he needs to see. However the counselor keeps nagging him about glasses and she said he needs to wear them at school (probably she meant all the time) I don't want him to wear them if he can see everything.
    Do they have right to force somebody to wear glasses? What will happen if I start argue with them that I don't want him to wear them yet. It seems like only me and my son can decide when he needs glasses.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2010, 04:24 PM

I would write a note to the counselor and explain that these glasses are not glasses that need to be worn 24/7 but only for when your son has difficulty seeing something.

It's possible that the counselor doesn't know that he only needs the glasses sometimes,not all the time. Many kids don't want to wear their glasses, and it may be that the counselor thinks your son just doesn't want to wear them, and believes that they are necessary at all times.

Just a simple note clarifying when he needs the glasses and that he shouldn't be forced to wear them all the time. That should suffice. :)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 01:04 AM
    I agree with Alty (of course). This needs to be addressed if your son and/or you feel uncomfortable. The school needs to know his medical needs. When he got glasses you should have sent a note to school stating when he needs to be wearing them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you need to wear glasses all the time? [ 34 Answers ]

Ok, this is kind of a secret from my mum, I'm short sighted since for a long time now , and only my dad knows about it since yesterday. I can see things like close up, but stuff like writing on the whiteboard I can't see. (So yeah... I have bad eyes as you can say) So, having this year to be my...

Should I wear my glasses full time like the optomitrist recommends? [ 5 Answers ]

I just got glasses for the first time the on Thursday and my prescription is low I have myopia and astigmatism in both eyes my one eye is -0.25 myopia and -0.75 astigmatism and the other eye is -0.50 myopia and -0.75 astigmatism and I was told to wear them full time even on the comp even though I...

How did you wear your School Tie [ 4 Answers ]

Did you find it trendy to wear it the thin way, with just the thin part visible!!

Should public school kids wear uniforms [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: Im writing a report and I need help should children wear uniforms in public schools or should we just leave it alone and if you now when the first public school was started please tell me

View more questions Search