Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ornam2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 12:14 PM
    Can I force the private seller to buy his car back in CA?
    About a week ago I bought a car from someone off internet and there wasn't any written warranty. The car had an out-of-state title, but he was willing to go to DMV with me to register the car under my name and all I thought was left is the inspection from the DMV. So when I went to do a smog test, but here the issue came up. The car has a different VIN on the dashboard. Then I call the guy back and he said he forgot to tape it or do whatever to secure the original VIN on the dashboard. Now they referred me to CHP and they said I have the total right to force the buyer to buy the car back.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 01:31 PM

If the VIN on the dash does not match the title you may have bought a stolen car or one that's been totaled and pieced together from several wrecks. It would not be a civil matter in this case and you should ask the Police to investigate someone selling possibly stolebn cars on the net.
    TexanPatriot Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2010, 08:53 PM
    If the car is unregisterable due to the VIN issue, then under commercial law it's considered a defective product sale (versus the used car sales are final rules).

At worst, the previous owner is guilty of a crime, at best, sloppiness if in fact it was a rebuild.

Also check into how much it would cost to fix the condition -- maybe obtaining your own salvage title.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I buy a car from a seller from another state and through eBay [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I contacted a seller to buy his car and he is from another state, he will ship the car to me in his expense and he wants the payment process to be done through eBay and he wants me to pay cash to Western Union office then to complete the application. I received an invoice from eBay...

Purchased a car from a private seller [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a car last year about this time from a private seller who told me the only thing wrong with the car was that it needed a new back tire. When we got the car home the tire was fine but it broke down the next day two hundred miles from home and had to be towed into a shop out of town. I...

Can I minor buy a car from a private party in Calif [ 9 Answers ]

My grandson bought a car from a private party for $700.00. He is 17 years old, but does have a Calif. Driver license. The car is very beat up, the transmission went out on the way home, and I don't think there is any oil in the car. The person he bought it from signed the pink slip and gave it...

Private party used car seller, responsible for smog? [ 1 Answers ]

Am I responsible for the smog on a private party used car sell? I let them know up front it needs a tune up.. and that smog wasn't due until October. Aren't private party used car sells.. as is? Im in California.

Buying used car from private seller [ 14 Answers ]

What can you do if you bought a car from a private seller, then the next day the cars engine blows..

View more questions Search