Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ColoMan15 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2010, 08:56 AM
    Electrical Question
    Hi I have an electrical question. I have 2 lights I'm adding to a circuit. The circuit already has 4 lights all that are controlled by a single switch. I've branched off one of these lights to give power to 2 additional lights with 14/2. The 2 lights are each controlled by a single pole switch. So power is coming into the 1st light with 14/2. Then 14/2 is run to the 2nd light. From there 14/3 is run down to the switches. Will this work and how do I hook every thing up? Thanks for the help.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 01:09 PM

So you have absolutely no idea what you are a doing, yet you ran all that wire (incorrectly I might add), and you want us to tell you how to hook everything up?

What you ran is almost all wrong if I read what you are saying correctly.
    Also, what size is the existing circuit? All #14 I hope. If it is #12 then all the #14 is no good at all.

I admit I am not a fan of giving folks instructions on every single detail of an installation. I would hope you have a decent clue before you start.

Sorry if this doesn't help you very much. I am sure there will be someone along to help you with every connection and splice.

Oct 25, 2010, 02:14 PM
    Yes the circuit is 15amp and all 14/2. The wire isn't run yet as I was being hypothetical. Maybe I can explain this better...

So I just bought this house and I have a circuit on my kitchen that is overloaded. I'm trying to get these 2 lights off the circuit. I just finished installing a new 15 amp circuit in my living room with 4 lights on it. I thought maybe it would be possible to get these 2 kitchen lights off the overloaded circuit and onto this new circuit. The 2 lights are currently controlled each by a single pole switch. Power comes into the switches and 14/3 goes up to the lights, the black controlling one light and the red controlling the other. Brainstorming I was thinking I can disconnect the lights from the circuit at the switch and bring power over from the new circuit. So is this possible? Most likely I will get an electrician in there to look at it. But still, I would love to know if this is possible.

And thanks for telling me I have no clue. I actually appreciate the honesty. :)
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 02:54 PM

Okay, help me here, please.

Is your entire circuit hypothetical or is some of the circuit actually installed and working?

Next, why do you maintain that the circuit in the kitchen is overloaded? What is on the circuit?

Oct 26, 2010, 03:17 PM
    Sorry if this has all been confusing. There are 2 actual circuits that are installed and working. 1 kitchen circuit and 1 living room circuit. The kitchen has a bunch of stuff on it... 4 lights, a bunch of plugs, a swamp cooler, it also powers the crawl space which has another couple lights and plugs. Every time the microwave comes on the lights dim. Anytime something is plugged in and comes on the lights dim.

The circuit in the living room has 4 lights on it. The hypothetical part was an idea to see if I could simply take the 2 lights in the kitchen off that circuit and put them on the living room circuit.

Oct 26, 2010, 03:29 PM

How old is this home?

First step is to verify that the amperage of the breaker for this circuit.

It sounds to me as if the home was wired incorrectly or some demented home owner just went nuts and started adding lights and receptacles to an existing circuit.

To be real honest, I doubt that just dropping the two lights on the circuit will help you.

The wiser thing to do would be to connect the crawl space to its own circuit.

Also, you really do not want lights connected to the two 20 amp circuits that are required for the counter-top appliance circuits.

You really need to map these circuits out and make sure you know what breaker and wire size is going where.

Do you know whether your home is wired with "Copper" or "AL"?

Oct 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
    The house is early 80's. Cooper wiring.

That's a good idea about the crawl space.

Oct 26, 2010, 04:03 PM

Given the kludge of receptacles and lights on this circuit you really need to split the circuit.

I would also strongly consider putting the microwave on a dedicated circuit especially if it requires 7 or more amps.

Oct 27, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful. Splitting the circuit is a much better idea and easier to accomplish. Also I found last night that I can get the microwave on a dedicated circuit by going through the crawlspace as well. Thanks for helping me out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I have a dedicated 15 amp circuit running to 5 recessed lights in my living room all controlled by a single switch. I've run the switch leg up the wall and to the first light, its 14/2. The power is coming into the first light also 14/2. I was wondering how to do this. Can...

Electrical Question [ 3 Answers ]

I have a craftsman lt2000 riding lawn mower.Used the mower to cut grass and turned it off.Blew mower off with blower and now it won't start.Motor will not even turn over.Any suggestions?

Electrical usage question [ 16 Answers ]

My husband and I lived in our single family house for 25 years and he always complained about our electricity bills but never did anything about them. We're now divorced: I've kept the house, am living here alone and am paying all the bills. I got my first electric bill this month and about had a...

Question about an electrical panel [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the plannnig stage of a basement remodel. I checked the breaker box and found that I have 2 circuits currently in the basement. One is for 8 overhead lights and one is for 4 GFI outlets located around the basement. My question is, there are 5 open slots in the panel that I could use...

View more questions Search