Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bayys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 09:37 PM
    Fees after Canceling Apartment Lease Application?
    I recently filled out an application for an apartment, but decided to withdraw and chose not to sign the lease. I paid an application fee that I didn't expect to get back, but now the broker is pressing me to pay half a month's rent to account for the time lost while the apartment was off the market. I looked at the application and there's no clause saying anything about this. I've read other questions (on this website and elsewhere) that mention people not getting their deposits back after canceling applications, but since I didn't put down a deposit at all, I'm wondering whether the broker has any grounds for requesting additional compensation. Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2010, 09:12 AM

No, they are just trying to get money from you. This is not even a common practice, And since there is nothing in the form just refuse.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2010, 10:08 AM

As Chuck says I don't think you can be legally held to this. But if there was a significant amount of time between the application and the cancellation there might be some grounds. In any event, tell them no and let them try to sue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College application fees [ 1 Answers ]

Are college application fees deductible?

Is there a 72 hour rule to canceling a rental lease just signed [ 2 Answers ]

Rule for refund of monies within 72 hours

College application fees and testing fees as tax deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Are the fees we are paying for our son to apply to various colleges tax deductable? Also, what about the money paid to take ACT ; SAT and AP tests? And, th emoney spent requesting these scores be sent to the universities being applied to?

Binding clause in apartment lease application? [ 7 Answers ]

Can a clause within an apartment lease application be binding upon the applicant? For example, is an application that states "if the applicant fails to execute a valid lease or refuses to occupy the premises upon the agreed upon date, the applicant will be responsible for damages in the...

Are college application fees deductable? [ 1 Answers ]

My son is a high school senior, he applied to several colleges last fall of '06 at a cost of $600. Are those fees deductable from federal or California taxes? Thanks, Hackmaster4

View more questions Search