Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnnyboy69 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Oct 23, 2010, 11:35 AM
    How can I get a judgement creditor to stop levying my accounts?
    I have a money judgement for about $4,000 in CA. This was related to a money judgement for over $50,000 but paid it off from wage garnishment. I am now unemployed and now the creditor is using the Sheriff to levy my bank acounts. Rcently they went after my spouses bank accounts. The money in the bank acount is not much but we live on unemplyment so every penny counts. Every time the Sheriff levies an account there is a charge of at least $100 from the bank tp process.

How can I get them to stop levying my accounts besides by just filing an exemption claim each time?
    Can I stop them to go after my spouse's assets or account?
    How can I stop the fees from the levying officer each time the creditor places a levy on a new account?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2010, 12:31 PM

First check to see what fee they are allowed by the garnishment, I don't believe they are allowed to charge you 100 dollar fee.

Next close the bank accounts, and use cash, money orders and so on.

If you owe the money, and appear to be mixing your money with her money in that accountas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Levying a bank account from credit card judgement [ 3 Answers ]

How often is it that credit cards levy bank accounts after judgement? I have since been in contact w them every day and they are still willing to settle. Could they touch my husbands accounts if my name is not on them?

What accounts are used when paid creditor on account? [ 1 Answers ]

What accounts do we use when "paid creditor on account"?

What property can be seized regarding judgement by creditor? [ 3 Answers ]

Judgement was granted back in 1990 for a bank loan which I defaulted on. Bank has renewed judgement every 10 years. Was recently served by sheriff's deputy was renewal notice. Deputy expected me to write a check to cover the debt owed. Stated I should contact creditors attorney and set up some type...

For how long can a creditor collect on a judgement? [ 4 Answers ]

Let's suppose a creditor (open account) obtains a judgement before the SOL runs. Is there any limit to how many years the creditor may attempt to collect on the judgement? Also, with the judgement in hand, can the creditor place a lien on an inheritance? Thank you.

Creditor seeking judgement through attorney [ 1 Answers ]

I have many credit cards (big mistake!) & they are all up to date except 1. It is a Discover Card. The thing is, I had a baby a year ago & I lost my job when I was pregnant with her. I have since gotten married & I do not work, except for taking care of my little girl because it would be much more...

View more questions Search