Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Verbal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 06:20 PM
    Old light fixture and old wiring...
    I am replacing a light in my kitchen with a hanging light from a friends house. The wiring from the box is the same color (very old house and wiring) but I think I know which is neutral based on which was wired to the white and black on the previous fixture. The hanging light I am putting in has a green ground but the other two wires appear to be both black (light has been painted before). Is it possible that the light is so simple that it doesn't matter which of the wires (other than the ground of course) is wired to the box hot and neutral? Thanks in advance...
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 22, 2010, 07:25 PM

It matters quite a bit.

Normally, the Neutral (White) is connected to the screw socket of the fixture. Black (Ungrounded conductor) is connected to the base of the socket.

If the wires are reversed, when you go to change the bulb and touch the screw thread, you will get shocked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a new light fixture [ 0 Answers ]

Currently we have under-cabinet lighting. It is installed through an under-cabinet switch, through a transformer. I want to add rope lighting on top of the counter so that it will operate from the switch. How do I hook up the lighting?

Hunter fan wiring model 26107 light fixture wiring sequence [ 2 Answers ]

There are 4 lights Each light has a bnlack and white wire coming from it. The light switch has a bule wire, a red wire and a black wire from the main housing. There is also a white wire coming from the main housing. The fan operates fine I cannot get the lights to go on. What is the wire sequence?

Wiring a light fixture to a 3 way switch [ 4 Answers ]

Am replacing an old light fixture in an upstairs hall that is connected to 3 different switches; one downstairs, one at the far end of the hall and one at the close end of the hall. Coming into the light receptacle box are 3 white wires, 3 black wires, 1 red wire and 3 exposed copper wires. My...

Replace light fixture on old wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace a ceiling fan with a new hampton bay light fixture. The wiring is old knob and tube. There is not ground wire. How do I connec the new fixture that has the third bare copper wire. Instruction say to attach to green screw on mounitng bracket but this is not connected to...

Wiring light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I have two ceiling lights that are operated by one wall switch. Wall switch-----------------light 1-----------------light 2 Light two is just fine but the wiring from light two to light 1 is confusing me. It has 4 wires. Red, white, black, ground wire. The black wire is the hot. How do...

View more questions Search