Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobby19 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 09:59 PM
    Meditation for Students
    Hey,

I am currently a university student looking to start meditation. My marks first term were not the greatest and I believe a lot of it can be attributed to the fact that I generally lack an ability to concentrate. When doing school work, unless I totally isolate myself from all possible distractions (cubical in a library), I cannot study. Even then so, my mind tends to wander. Also, I find that my memory is not the greatest.

I have started to do some Zen meditation. I just wanted to know if there are any other types of meditations I could try that would help calm my mind and help me in concentration and memory?

Thanks
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 10:24 PM
    There are all kinds of different types of meditations. There are many variations. There are many things that you could do yourself to see what works best for you.

There is focusing on breathing.
    There is focusing on all your body parts.
    There is mantra.
    There is imagination. Using your minds eye.
    Every day meditation, every living experience is a meditation. Walking, cooking, cleaning. Everything is a state of being.

I think it is better to learn one method and good at one method. It may take several weeks to notice a big improvement. Learn how to focus and meditate using the method you have now and then when you feel good and confident about the changes then try another kind. I suggest after some practise your able to use several different forms of meditation. Make it a regular routine. How much time do you dedicate to meditation. Increase the amount of meditation you do every week.

Joe
    8Powell8 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Jesushelper has a wonderful point, and allow me to elaborate on some of the things that he/she mentions:

Focus on breathing:
    Experience your breathing in and out, feel how much air you take in and release out.

Focusing on all your body parts.
    Make sure you do this at the beginning to help you relax. Begin with your feet, working your way up your legs, making sure all your body is relaxed.

Mantra.
    There are many many different types of mantras, from the famous OM, brahma, (repeating this "words" or vibrations) but you can also concentrate in something like: I love me, I am infinite with all, I am love, you must choose one, whichever sounds appropriate for you and repeat it.

Counting:
    (this is my personal favorite to start) begin at 100 and begin counting backwards, imagining the numbers in front of you. As soon as a thought comes up and you forget or lose track of where you are, start all over. Do this until you are able to go all the way down to 1 or 0 without problems and without getting lost in your mind.
    Once you master this technique of 100, try 500.

The only thing I don't agree with JesusH. Is the imagination. Imagination is very important in the development of your mind, but at the same time is a process of the mind. Your goal with meditation is to QUIET your mind and imagining things only makes it work more.

Also, I know that people use candles, concentrating on the flame, the way it moves, it's colors, etc.

So basically you want to focus all of your attention and being into a single thing, and as jesush said, focusing on daily activities, being HERE and NOW is the biggest purpose of meditation.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not concentrate during meditation [ 9 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I started to do meditation recently.What I do is just watch my breathe inhale and exhale.Secondly sometimes I do osho dynamic meditation but I feel I am wasting my time as I don't see any improvement in myself.I started this I have lack of concentration and to improve concentration I...

F1 Students [ 2 Answers ]

Students on F1 visa from Czech republic are not exempt from paying social security tax and medicatra tax on OPT? Thank you

Meditation [ 8 Answers ]

OK so lately maybe the last... 8 or so weeks I've been under a lot of stress with all manner of different things and have had anxiety attacks and just cried myself to sleep due to depression and just all the stuff happeing around me.. I think I have coped relatively... badly lol. I don't have any...

Is there any side effect of doing GYM exercise after meditation [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am regularly doing OSHO DYNAMIC MEDITATION for one hour during 6.00am to 7.00 am.Then I start GYM exercise for muscular development from 7:15 to 08:00 a.m.Would any side effect happenedof doing exercise after meditation.Is it prescribed? vibhor

Yoga levels of meditation [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please give a good basic explanation of the types and levels of Yoga meditation?

View more questions Search