Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wilkstar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Why do dogs urinate on other dogs?
    I have a 7 week old puppy that I have began to take with me to work. I work a group home facility for boys. We currently have a dog there that one of the other owners brought over and just dropped off here. This dog is almost 6 months old and he keeps urinating on my puppy. How do I stop this? Does the 6 month need to be neutered?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 22, 2010, 10:58 AM
    I had a dog that urinated on people on rare occasion.. yes, neutering should help, and of course make sure everyone praises the dog a lot when he pees on the ground. Dog urine is for marking and dominating.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2010, 05:15 PM

As joypulv said it is usually a sign of dominance, the older pup is asserting himself over yours.
    Neutering would certainly help and with dominant dogs, the younger the better... once dominant behaviour sets in as a habit (with older dogs) it is very hard to break, but while they are young it is mostly controlled by hormones (think teenage boys)

My boy was neuteres at around 14 months and he still marks his territory over where the other dogs have peed. Only sometimes he forgets to wait until they have moved away before doing it and I end up having to give someone a bath :rolleyes:
    moreno12 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2010, 10:47 AM
    He is a puppy try to tell him no or when you sense him going to p on hin grab your dog or make a loud noise he will sense that he is not supposed to do that
    Wilkstar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 09:45 AM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    That makes sense! Thanks!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 12:39 PM

Shazamataz pretty much summed it up for you. Would you plan on getting the older dog neutered? We have an amazing amount of information here on behavior problems, if you would like to know anything specific, don't hesitate to ask!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Socializing dogs with other dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 dogs since their individual puppyhood. All are neutered/spayed. One male is 10 yrs. And was dominate until his front leg was amputated. One female is 8-9yrs. She is beta and non-confrontational, but she is loyal to the only the male. The last is 4 yrs. We introduced the 4 yr. old...

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Socialize dogs with other dogs [ 3 Answers ]

have a 8 yr old Golden that I adopted from a Golden Retreiver Resue group. She does not get along with other dogs-fantastic with people,kids etc. Only one time has she tried to fight-normally she stands firm with her ears up, growls,barks and strains on the leash. I had her to an obedience school...

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Dogs That Urinate In Their Sleep [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 6 month old Boxer named Lola who has a bit of a problem. Lola has always had problems holding her bladder, she was constantly peeing in her crate when I first brought her home about 4 months ago. I was told that puppies will not go to the bathroom on their bedding so I bought her...

View more questions Search