Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leah498n Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
    My dad committed suicide
    My dad committed suicide a two weeks ago. He left me, my sister, and my mom. It doesn't feel real.
    I don't know what to do.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2010, 09:19 AM

How old are you? Have you and your mom and sister talked about any kind of counseling? How are the other people in your family managing things? Do you feel like you can talk about this with your mom and sister in a supportive way?
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Oct 24, 2010, 09:59 AM

The feelings and grieveing process can be much more difficult with a suicide death. A lot more confusion, anger, questions come along with the loss.
    How old are you? I would recommend therapy for and your family. In the meantime, get your feelings out the best way you can. Art, journaling, poems, reading, writing on here, support groups in your comminuty.
    Tell us your age.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2010, 05:28 PM

Survivors of suicide are one of the most neglected classes in the "therapeutic community." The emotional turmoil one confronts following the suicide of a loved one is comparable to no other. There are few resources capable of dealing effectively with the emotional state that results. I studied in the field of suicidology (what there was of it at the time) and witnessed the growth of an excellent organization called Survivors of Suicide.

These groups are now nationwide and in addition to being composed of those who lost someone through suicide, they have available special counselors trained through the American Association of Suicidology (AAS). The AAS was founded by Dr Ed Schneidman, long recognized as the world's leading authority on suicide.

It's unfortunate this group receives so little media attention but that's consistent with avoidance of all matters related to suicide.

Survivors of Suicide.

This website links to a national directory of SOS support groups. The services are available at no cost in some regions and at very minimal cost in others. Far, far less than you would pay an independent counselor.

I wish you the very best and you have my deepest sympathy.
    Julie4477 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2011, 06:50 PM
    So did my father I'm 13 I know how it feels in the beginning my dad killed himself about 7 months ago ALAWYS remember that time turns flames to embers I hope you remember today is never to late to be brand new
    aggreyz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
    , My dad hang himself... we are so traumatized and it appears untrue..
    MissyL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 04:41 PM
    My dad did the same thing on April 10th... I just don`t understand and it still seem so unreal even though my brother and I took care of all the funeral arrangements.

It just doesn`t seem possible... :`(
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2012, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissyL View Post
    My dad did the same thing on April 10th.... I just don`t understand and it still seem so unreal eventhough my brother and I took care of all the funeral arrangements.

It just doesn`t seem possible... :`(
    I hope you will take advantage of the group I cited directly above, Survivors of Suicide.

You are confronting unique problems and emotions that are understood by few. There is no immediate solution to your pain and grief but contact with the above will allow you to eventually develop an understanding.

I wish you the best.
    courtneybabisch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 07:13 PM
    My dad did the same on June 11. I don't know what I'm feeling. We can all get through this though.
    georgelace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
    Well it sucks it happen to me last year . Am 32 years old and it's the hardest thing .
    All I can say is life is
    It hurts and you ask why all the time and there's no why

I find this article helpful

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/suicide_prevention.htm
    GoldenL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
    My dad did the same in apil, just before all my gcse exams, I didn't know what to do, and I still don't. I'm not one of those people who like to talk about things normally, and now I'm stuck. I'm angry, upset, hurt and confussed.
    kygirl91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 01:45 AM
    My dad also committed suicide on march 20, 2012. I was 20 at the time. I have no adivce for you. I still think about it everyday. I find myself crying everyday. I went to counsling twice and found that it was unnecessary because here I am pouring my heart out to this stranger who had no idea who my dad was or who I am and yet they're trying to help? If I can leave you with anything it's that time does help. But when something like this happens, time is something that goes by very, very slowly. I feel like it all happened yesterday yet 5 months have passes. Its something that I feel like you will never "get over" but it is something, after years have passed, you will be able to come to terms with and maybe even forgive your dad. I have yet to forgive mine. But I know after time and after I no longer cry myself to sleep, I'll be able to say, dad I forgive you.
    kittytemple Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2012, 06:11 PM
    Hi there, this happened to me when I was 14! And like you golden L just before my GCSEs! My heart goes out to you both, I am 38 now and it still hurts. When my dad first killed himself I hated him! Because I didn't understand. I didn't realise he was ill, but he was! My dad was a drunk, I grew up with him constantley drunk! I loved him, but didn't understand him! I work for a mental health trust now and I see a totally different perspective! He was mentally ill, and did not get the help! He wasn't just selfish! As I first though! I wish I could have reached out to him!
    claireabella84 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
    My Dad hung himself in January, also left me and my Mam and sister, it is awful, I know just exactly what you are going through so well. Look after each other and remember your Dad the way he was. That's what I do. Talk to people about it and don't bottle it up. Lots of love xx
    Cassofrass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2012, 09:14 AM
    My Dad killed himself a week ago. I just read that helpguide article, and it stirred up a lot of feelings of 'if only'. If only I had stayed up and chatted with him when he couldn't sleep, if only I had told him how much I loved him no matter how worthless he might have seemed to himself, if only I had reached out more. Many people are incredible at concealing their true emotions, and some people never want to or will let themselves believe that the one who is obviously in so much pain would ever actually DO such a thing. I'm still in shock. It's like a joke with no punch line, or an explosion. I can only hope that this gets easier with time. My heart goes out to all of you who have had to suffer the loss of someone close to you. May you heal a little everyday, and show compassion and unadulterated love to those still around you.
    claireabella84 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2012, 02:56 AM
    I also read that article, then I wish I hadn't as unfortunately after it has been done there is nothing you can do. No point thinking about what if's. Though I do too. I'm so sorry for this to happen to you, just before christmas too, at least I've had the best part of a year for it to sink in a little. Still hasn't some days. He was such a miss yesterday, such a miss. Reading all your stories really helps me as some days I feel so alone. We all just need to be there for the people we love. I do believe, in time it won't be the first thing we think of morning, noon and night x
    jamie555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2013, 06:36 PM
    My dad killed himself on 02-03-2013 the last time I spoke to him he put the fone down on me I found out that he burst into tears afterwards bcos he didn't want me to see him upset. I think I could have done more for my dad. My mind is quite numb but I can just burst into tears at any time I feal like no one understands and people don't think it's that bad.
    AlyssaNicole911 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2013, 06:08 AM
    My dad committed suicide 3 years ago. He left me, my mom, brother and sister all here. My sister was only 13, I was 10, and my brother was 8. He left us at the worst possible time too, we were losing our house at the time and my grandfather had just passed away. It is his birthday today, so I do know what you are going through, and I'm not saying time heals all wounds, because I have learned that that is not true at all, but it does get some what better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My father committed suicide [ 51 Answers ]

I'm not really writing this because I want specific advice, but to share and I hope someone will share with me if the have lost someone to suicide! My dad turned 45 on march 16th and on the 17th he was found hanging on a door in the hall way of his house. He was found by his girlfriend of 20...

Proplems with sleep since my dad committed suicide. [ 13 Answers ]

I don't know if this is the right place to write about this. I do have a thread in berivment on the subject of my dad's suicide on March 17 of this year... but I feel that if I ask this question in that thread I won't get an answer and I desperatly need some help to stabalize my sleeping rhythm... ...

Can you have someone committed for depression and thoughts of suicide [ 6 Answers ]

How can you have someone committed into a hospital for depression and thoughts of suicide? She has lost her kids, her boyfriend beats her every other day and she blames family for all that has gone wrong. Won't admit to police about boyfriend and now says she is going to kill herself by the 20th of...

View more questions Search