Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Suit for faulty auto repairs
    What do I need to do to sue an auto repair shop for paying to fix my car and the car is still not fixed? My car started overheating while I was out and I called a tow company from the yellow pages to tow it to their shop. They replaced the radiator, thermostat, hoses and clamps and charged me $1100. A week later my car started overheating again. The problem is that they did the repairs without telling me they were going to do this because I would have told them I just had all those parts replaced 8 months ago. It appears they didn't check to see what was wrong, they just swapped out parts and said my car was fixed. What do I need to do to sue them for faulty repairs?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
    Suits like this are Small Claims, but I'm not sure you will win. I can't believe you never told them about the recent repairs for the same problem! And a new radiator? When you have work done on a car for any reason, you need to spend some time discussing the history, the problem, and what your limits are. You have them call you if they find more than a certain set of problems - even after just the thermostat.
    Anyway, have you talked to them about the car overheating again? That's your first step; take it in ASAP and just say that they didn't find the real problem. Do not leave until you are in agreement about what they will do next and if they consider it no charge.
    Techsam Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
    If you did not agree to the repairs and signed NO estimate approval then you are off the hook, AMVIC is the governing department you should be filing a suit through and I am sure you will get all your money back.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2011, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Techsam View Post
    If you didnot agree to the repairs and signed NO estimate approval then you are off the hook, AMVIC is the governing department you should be filing a suit through and I am sure you will get all your money back.

This is incorrect. There is no way of knowing IF the person who asked the question is in Canada.

You don't file a "suit" through AMVIC. You file a COMPLAINT with AMVIC.

Canadian Law also provides: "Where a consumer's authorization is not in writing, such as a consumer signing a written estimate, the repairer is permitted to obtain the authorization from the consumer if the repairer records the name of the person giving the authorization, the date and time of the authorization. If the authorization is given over the phone, the law also requires that the telephone number of the person giving the authorization also be recorded."

http://www.ontario.ca/en/information...dy/053126.html

This is the argument that auto repair centers use when called into Court for unauthorized repairs. It's a BIG loophole and not everyone tells the truth.

But again, no indication that OP is, in fact, in Canada.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Repairs [ 1 Answers ]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) My daughter has a 1993 Nissan Sentra 1.6L. On one of our very cold days, her car would not start. Prior to this , the car ran fine! She had it towed to her favorite garage where they diagnosed a timing chain problem! Yes, this model/year does in fact have a chain... I...

Auto repairs [ 2 Answers ]

My 90 Nissan Sentra's brake lites recently quit working,I Ck'ed all fuses,& replaced brake pedal stop lite switch. They still don't work.Anyone have an idea?

Auto repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Accord 2.2L. My problem is that the radiator cooling fan cycles on and off numerous times sometimes 5 or 10 minutes after the car has been shut off. It will only remain on for a few seconds at a time. I have replaced the coolant temperatore sensor for the ECU: also the...

View more questions Search