Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RRech17 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Basement Toilet Backup
    I have a basement toilet that overflows when water is drained in one of the upstairs bathroom. The water in the toilet looks completely black and doesn't go down when I attempt to us a plunger. I recently had a drain pipe break in the basement that I repaired and this started occurring almost immediately after. My house is a 2 story with a full basement and none of the other toilets or sinks are backing up or show any sign of doing so. I spoke with roto-roter and was hesitant to have them investigate because they started talking about tearing up the basement over the phone. I personally think that there is a clog somewhere in the vent and would like to get other opinions to confirm or deny what I think. Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 3, 2007, 10:15 AM
    This could be several things but it sounds like a dranage blockage and not a vent problem.. The most likely being a blockage in the drain line.
    However, It could be a faulty repair job on the drain line you replaced since you informed us, " I recently had a drain pipe break in the basement that I repaired and this started occurring almost immediately after."
    This makes your repair job suppect in my book. You have no choice but to snake out the drain line and find out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Backup [ 1 Answers ]

My house was built in the 50's. I have a septic. The toilet is the only thing that runs into the septic. My sinks, tub and washer all run into a drain that goes under the basement floor. Every time someone takes a shower, washes a load of clothes or does dishes, the drain in the middle of the...

Basement Toilet Backup, how to remove the smell? [ 3 Answers ]

Recently a friend of mine had their basement toilet backup sewage into the basement. The plumber figured out there were tree roots in the sewer which lead to the problem and ended up fixing it. They removed all of the carpet and other materials affected by the backup, but the smell remains. I...

Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I...

Basement backup [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our house in Wisconsin was built in the late 20's and does not have drain tile or a sump pump. After most large rainfalls we get water coming up from cracks in the floor. We will probably be putting in tiles and a pump because that alone is a huge pain. After this last large...

Basement drain backup [ 11 Answers ]

I only have one floor drain in my basement, and it is near the hot water heater and the sump. I have a septic system also. I noticed some water around the floor drain, about 3' in diameter. I thought that my sump pump had failed, but when I lifted the bulb it worked. There wasn't enough water in...

View more questions Search