Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rad0123 Posts: 22, Reputation: 5

Oct 21, 2010, 03:07 PM
    Possessive of my home, or overreacting?
    I'm 17, when I was 16 I became best friends with this girl named Katey. Her and I were really close for about five months, then we stopped being friends but agreed to remain on neutral terms. Once summer started (we weren't friends) my brother moved in, I left for camp (one week) and when I came back her and my brother were really close. I noticed some of my clothes were missing, and I saw Facebook pictures of her wearing them. I left again for camp (this time for four weeks) but got sent home twice for an illness, both times her and my brother were really close, and I assumed they were sleeping together. When I got back for good I confronted my brother about it, he got really mad at me and threw things. I called her and she didn't answer, I sent her a rude text out of anger. She refused to talk to me without my brother around. So, we talked. They admitted they were sleeping together. Her and I would be civil to each other. But now, I always come home and she is there, and she is cleaning my house, cooking food, and is there more than I am. I am so mad! This is my house, not hers! She makes grocery lists and everything, she even tells my dad when were out of something. My brother is almost 20, and shouldn't even be living here, I feel like this is no longer my dad and I's house, it is Katey and my brothers house. I want to explode with anger! What do I do?
    beachloverjohn Posts: 491, Reputation: 242

Oct 21, 2010, 03:35 PM

Wait till your 18 and then move out
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 03:38 PM

How much rent do you pay every month? Do you contribute towards bills, food?

The fact is, this isn't your house, it's your fathers house. If he has a problem with this girl than he can ask her to stop coming around, but you can't.

Your brother has just as much right to live there as you do, regardless of how old he is. If your father allows him to live there than it's his residence too.

The only person that has a right to say anything about any of this is your father, the person that owns the home.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 07:08 PM

Agreed, it is your 20 year old brothers house as much as yours, and if he is paying rent toward staying there, perhaps even more so.

You put up with it, perhaps ask to be able to lock your door to keep them out of your room
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 22, 2010, 04:02 AM
    I agree with the above, there is not much you can do when your father calls the shots in his own home. No doubt he is as happy with her as your brother, having the house cleaned, and meals cooked. Who wouldn't be.

The real issue here, I think, is your betrayal, by your friend. You went from best friends, to casual friends, to not being friends, and somewhere in the mix, she hooked up with your brother and they are now a couple. That leaves you out of the picture, and there is nothing you can do to change it.

What I would do, is put a lock on my door. I find that creepy that she would feel free to rummage through your things, and take what she wants. You do have control over your own personal space, and she should be told to stay out of your room.

In the meanwhile, realize that you learned sooner, rather than later, that she does not make a very good friend. Also realize that it is more likely than not, your brother, or her, will move on to new relationships, and the house will eventually return to normal again.

cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 22, 2010, 01:42 PM

Im curious. What state is this happening in and how old is your friend? Does your father know what is really going on?
    rad0123 Posts: 22, Reputation: 5

Oct 23, 2010, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Im curious. What state is this happening in and how old is your friend? Does your father know what is really going on?
    I live in Washington and she just turned 18. My father sort of knows.

I get out of school earlier than her, so recently she's been skipping school to get to my house before I do (I think its so her and my brother can get down). Then she stays until 7 and is there all weekend. So when she gets here, she cooks and cleans and does everything I usually do, and my dad praises her on it. By the time I get home, there is no chores for me to do and they think I'm lazy. My brother pays no rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I just overreacting? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been dating this guy for a few months and now I want to be in an actual relationship with him. He's great and his family is awesome! We spend A lot of time with each other like 4 times a week and we are good together. The problem is, he got out of a year and a half relationship 9 months ago...

Am I overreacting? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 13 (and a girl). I've been away from home for about 2 weeks and of course, haven't seen my best friend in that time (a little more than that, actually, since it's summer and we both have been kind of busy). I went over to her house just the other day though, and it was kind of awkward. We...

Am I overreacting? [ 21 Answers ]

Ok here's the deal. I asked my boyfriend to come hear me sing this Sunday. I knew he didn't really want to go, but the Saturday before he said that he would talk to me in the morning and tell me whether he was going. So Sunday morning comes and he doesn't call or text or anything. So I send him...

Am I overreacting [ 4 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for about 5 years now.He was out of the country for 7 months for educational purposes last year. After he has come back things have changed in a way that now he is only focused on his career.he says that the relationship is a priority for him, but his career comes...

Am I overreacting [ 2 Answers ]

I need to get an objective opinion on whether I am overreacting. I've been with my wife for 9 years, and married for 7 with 2 young children and an older stepson that was from my wife's previous marriage. From the start we have had some rocky times and she always seemed to have these walls up...

View more questions Search