Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcpfan Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 02:49 PM
    Hello, ANyone please help me with this..
    I've been done for my project but these left questions I can't come up with anything. Please help me with your opinions. Thank You guys,

My theory is: Student Advising Appointment

One of my Independent variable for the theory is Timing:

Could you tell me whether it is a ratio, or interval or nominal variable and why?

And using this theory,
    a. how will you test your theory?
    b. How will you gather data?
    c. How will you statistically test your hypotheses?
    d. How will you know if your theory is valid? In other words, what is your expected outcome if your theory is correct?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kcpfan View Post
    I've been done for my project but these left questions I can't come up with anything. Please help me with your opinions. Thank You guys,

My theory is: Student Advising Appointment

One of my Independent variable for the theory is Timing:

Could you tell me whether it is a ratio, or interval or nominal variable and why?

And using this theory,
    d. How will you know if your theory is valid? In other words, what is your expected outcome if your theory is correct?
    What is your thesis/hypothesis? (What are you trying to prove?)

Oct 21, 2010, 06:40 PM

III. Dependent variable
    a) The dependent variable for our theory is whether a student shows up to their scheduled School of Business advising appointment.
    b) We will measure this variable by reviewing student appointments via the Appointment-Plus database used in the School of Business Advising Center. Appointment-Plus records the number of students that schedule appointments, show up, never show, or if they were a walk-in.
    c) This is a ratio variable because whether students show up makes a difference.
    ( The ratio is a right variable used in this case but the reason is not right, DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER THOUGHT?)

IV. Independent Variable – Timing
    a. The time that the appointment is scheduled for affects whether a student shows up.
    b. If students re-schedule their appointment, the student worker can ask why the original appointment was missed. Whether it was due to poor timing, location, or another issue.
    c. This is a ratio variable because it expresses the result between two variables, where the position of dependent variable changes due to the change of independent variable( I THINK IT IS A RATIO VARIABLE BUT THE EXPLANATION SOUND WASN'T CORRECT, PLUS GIVE ME SOME INPUTS)
    d. A negative relationship occurs because if the student schedules an appointment for a time where they are not available or they forgot, they are less likely to show up.
    e. This is endogenous because the student is in control of how well they manage their time.
    V. Independent Variable – Location
    a. The differences in the distance both on campus residents and commuters have to travel to get to the School of Business Advising office.
    b. Location will be measured by referring to student records kept in the Appointment-Plus database.
    c. Location is classified as interval because there is a set distance between two points: where students reside and the advising office.
    d. The relationship lies on the fact that location can affect whether a student shows up for a scheduled advising appointment.
    e. More of the independent variable causes less of the dependent variable resulting in a negative relationship.
    f. It is endogenous because it is the student's responsibility to show up. However, if traffic is the reason, it can be exogenous because students have no control over traffic.
    VI. Independent Variable – Reason for Visit
    a. The reason why students make appointments affect whether they show up. Generally, students get advising on their scheduling, to receive their PIN, or for overrides.
    b. To keep track of the reason of the appointment, when the student worker answers the phone he or she asks the student why they need to see an advisor.
    c. This is a nominal variable because it is divided into categories.
    d. The more important a student feels the reasoning for their appointment is, the more likely they are to attend their appointment.
    e. A negative relationship occurs because the higher the importance of the meeting causes less people to miss their appointments.
    f. This is an endogenous variable because ultimately it is the student's choice to show up.

VII. The main assumptions of this theory are the following: students will make an advising appointment; students will or will not show up to their scheduled appointment; and we are assuming that whether they show up is affected by our three independent variables.
    VIII. This theory does not apply to all students at all times. Our theory applies to lower-division students who need general advising on their schedule, need their PIN, or need an override.

IX. In order to predict, explain, and control the dependent variable our model takes into consideration different independent variables that affect a student's probability of showing up to their scheduled appointment. Knowing these three independent variables can help to accurately predict and explain why a student does not show up to their appointment. Urging students to be responsible and to find a way to their scheduled appointment will help control the final outcome. Our one exogenous variable, traffic, cannot be controlled, however, the student can leave earlier to avoid the delay.

OVERALL, THIS IS WHAT I'VE DONE FOR MY PROJECT AND NOW I NEED TO ANSWER THESE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS TOWARD THIS THEORY TO TEST IT.

And using this theory,
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 06:46 PM

How will you gather data and test?
    III. b) We will measure this variable by reviewing student appointments via the Appointment-Plus database used in the School of Business Advising Center. Appointment-Plus records the number of students that schedule appointments, show up, never show, or if they were a walk-in.

Yes? No?

Oct 21, 2010, 06:57 PM
    Do you think I would be applied for that question? Any other thoughts beside that?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 07:23 PM

Did you write the hypothesis, or did someone else?

I don't understand your question. "Applied for that question"?

Oct 21, 2010, 07:25 PM
    no, that's what I've done...

as you said this is the answer for How will you gather data and test?

b) We will measure this variable by reviewing student appointments via the Appointment-Plus database used in the School of Business Advising Center. Appointment-Plus records the number of students that schedule appointments, show up, never show, or if they were a walk-in.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 07:27 PM

How will you gather data means how will you take a count of students that schedule appointments, show up, never show, or are walk-ins.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 07:33 PM

I don't understand what you need to know. The entire research project is in what you posted. On one day, 6 students may show up for an appointment, 2 might cancel, 1 might be a no-show, and 1 might be a walk-in. You have to come up with a total for each day, and then do calculations.

How long do you have to keep count -- a week, two weeks?

Oct 21, 2010, 07:41 PM

These are the questions I need to answer for the second part of my project and I can't repeated twice in this presentation with the same answers. Therefore, I'm seeking for many inputs for this second part.

First part: which was the explanation part for my STUDENT ADVISING APPOINTMENT THEORY.

Second part: The theory needs to be test.. and I need help for that part..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
    What will you be trying to find out?

Oct 21, 2010, 07:49 PM
    What do you mean? I'm trying to find out how to answer those questions correctly.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 07:56 PM

Do you understand what data you are to collect?

Do you understand what you are supposed to do with the data?

Oct 21, 2010, 07:59 PM
    No, I don't... that's why I'm here to seek for the best answers... :)
    And you probably will question then why did I came up with the date in the first place. I came up with that because I did a research from the advising center.. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 08:08 PM

Do you understand what a research project is? There are no answers yet. You must collect them (the data). You must count and keep tract of students. That's your data.

Who wrote the hypothesis?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search