Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larkemett Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Oct 21, 2010, 08:51 AM
    What kind of caterpillar is this big fluffy badboy?
    This was seen by my friend outside her work, she wants to know what kind of caterpillar it is or even if it is indeed a caterpillar?

Ew ew ew. Omg can someone please tell me what this bug is?!! ... on Twitpic
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 09:02 AM

It looks a little like a monarch caterpillar, but not exactly. However, someday it will be a butterfly and a pretty one at that.

Tick
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Oct 22, 2010, 11:43 PM
    This is probably a tiger moth larva. The tiger moths (family Arctiidae) are a very colorful family of moths unlike most moths. There are many species of tiger moths. I don't know which species this moth might be. Search Arctiidae - BugGuide.Net. Wooly bears are arctiids.

Monarchs are brush footed butterflies (family Nymphalidae) and don't look anything like this to me. Search Monarch Larvae - BugGuide.Net
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Nov 16, 2010, 05:33 PM

I found the ID! This beautiful moth is a banded tussock moth, Halysidota tessellaris, (family Arctiidae).

Halysidota tessellaris - Banded tussock moth -- Discover Life

Halysidota tessellaris larva - Halysidota tessellaris - BugGuide.Net

Banded Tussock Moth - Hodges#8203 - Halysidota tessellaris - BugGuide.Net

Moths in the Arctiidae family are commonly called tiger moths or tussock moths.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pet Caterpillar, a few questions [ 3 Answers ]

To make a long story short, I'm taking care of my 2nd cousins' pet caterpillar, because his mother wouldn't allow it in the house and he didn't want to put it back into the wild, so I offered to take it. I'm curious to know, what type of Caterpillar he is, I already figured out he's a moth (I...

Katie the Caterpillar Cartoon [ 6 Answers ]

I loved this one as a child! I want to say the title of this cartoon movie is "Katie the Caterpillar" But, I can't find it anywhere. Its this little green caterpillar named katie and she wears this pink scarf on her head. It has some interesting music/sound affects in it. I remember her walking...

Investment Banks for Caterpillar [ 1 Answers ]

I am researching Caterpillar inc. and I need some direction. I need to find out what investment banks Caterpillar uses to issue their stock?

Large green caterpillar, but what kind? [ 1 Answers ]

My stepdaughter found a caterpillar today. He's about 2 to 2-1/2 inches long, a dark green and has 3 orange triangular markings on the rear end of his body. We live in northern Indiana, if this helps any.

Fluffy batter [ 6 Answers ]

I recently got a deep fryer I have tried a few different things With fish and chicken I would like to make a batter that turns out Fluffy/puffy how do I do this? Thanks mike

View more questions Search